How to add a forum or discussion board to your module
This refers to Moodle 3.6 from July 2019 onward
How to add a forum
Creating activities: How to create a forum
Step by step
- Navigate to your module and click
- In the relevant topic/section, click
- Scroll down through ACTIVITIES and select the radio button for 'Forum'
- Click Add
- Give the forum a Name and Description. (The Description is where the instructions or guidelines will go, or, for Single Simple Discussion, this will be the first post)
- Select the Forum type you want.
There are 5 types of discussion forums (in addition to the special Announcements forum, see above)
- A Single Simple Discussion: this is a forum with only one topic. Users can only reply to the original topic (and to replies) not create new topics. The Description will be the first post.
- Each Person Posts one Discussion: handy for class introductions, each user can only post one discussion topic (replies are not limited).
- Q and A forum: this forum allows you to post a question (or questions) and students must reply with their answers first before seeing other student responses.
- Standard Forum displayed in a blog-like format
- Standard Forum for General Use: anyone can post new topics/subjects and reply to this forum.
- Click on the > to open the Subscription and tracking options
- Choose which Subscription option you want
- Optional subscription: users aren’t subscribed (don’t get email alerts) but can choose to be
- Forced subscription: users automatically get update alerts and cannot unsubscribe
- Auto subscription means users start with a subscription but may choose to disable it – OFTEN A GOOD CHOICE
- Subscription disabled – it is never possible to get alerts
Click Save and return to module or Save and Display
Posting messages in the forum
For any type of forum - except Single simple discussion (where the Description is the first post) - you can now go into the forum and start posting messages.
- Click into the forum
- Click on the Add a new discussion topic button
- In the posting window enter a Subject and Message
- Add any attachments if appropriate (up to 2 MB in size)
- Click on the Post to forum button
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic: