School of English Placements and Volunteering
The School of English has developed a diverse range of opportunities for students, which enable them to develop new skills and contribute to the local community.
These projects are designed to fit around your studies - involvement in a placement or volunteering activity is an extracurricular activity that should not be undertaken during timetabled teaching activities organised by the School.
Placement providers are aware of your university commitments, and will work flexibly to ensure that your work for them does not clash with lectures or seminars.
Information about Placements and Volunteering:
- Work placements take place over 8 - 12 weeks, with students usually working one day per week with a local organisation.
- Placement providers range from theatre companies to independent libraries, marketing companies and charities and projects involving Shared Reading in care homes. Find out more about the latter by following this link.
- Students can volunteer with local school children through the Literacy Support Project or Vikings in Schools initiative.
- Students can also develop their skills by working within the School of English as Peer Mentors.
- Students can receive accreditation for their placement and volunteering activities by completing a Nottingham Advantage Award module.
Career Blogs by School of English Students.
Many of our students have written inspiring posts about their placement experiences, which can be found on our Placement Profiles page.
For further insight on seeking career opportunities whilst studying, here's a fantastic blog written by final year, English and Philosophy student - 'How I found a Summer Internship on Twitter'.
If you're eager to make the most of your School's and University's Placements and Careers support, Elise Jackson, English Language and Literature alumna shares how she landed her dream job doing just that. Read her blog: 'How I Used University to Get My Dream Job'.
Opportunities outside of the School of English
The Careers and Employability Services team offer a range of opportunities for students, including their Nottingham Internship Scheme - a series of paid positions in the Easter and summer vacation periods. Follow the link for more information and to watch videos by successful students from the School of English.