This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
This refers to Moodle 3.4 from September 2018 onward
Moodle Help & Support
How to: set up self-enrolment on your module
Self-enrolment is useful in non-teaching modules such as community modules, NOOCs, special events, staff-only modules, programme or all-School modules, where students are not enrolled via the student record system.
If students cannot see modules at all, use Method 1
If your students are observers on all your School's modules (e.g., Business School, Geography, Economics, Engineering) use Method 2
Method 1: To create self-enrolment for your module
- Navigate to your module. Inside your module, find the Administration block and click on Module administration > Users > Enrolment methods.
- Self enrolment will either be listed in the list of enrolment methods or it won't.
Tip: You may find that the self-enrolment method is there but is greyed out (Often entitled Self-enrolment (Start of Term) or Self-enrolment (Autumn Semester) or similar). In this case you will only need to unhide it (click on the Eye icon). Start of term allows students (1) to self enrol until, e.g., 18th October and (2) to be automatically unenrolled after 35 days, unless they have officially been enrolled on the module in SATURN. You can amend these settings by clicking on the Edit icon) (see step 3).
- If the self-enrolment method is not listed click on the Add method drop-down box and choose ‘Self-enrolment’.
- You will then be taken to the settings page for the self-enrolment method. Please see below for a description of each of the configurable choices.
The minimum settings you need (leaving others as default) are:
- Allow new enrolments = Yes
- Once you have configured your self-enrolment method click on the ‘Add method’ button at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
Method 2: Enabling self-enrolment
Follow the instructions for Method 1
In addition, add a Participate block to the module:
- Click on the Turn editing on button
- Scroll down the module screen and find the Add A Block block with the Add... drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down list, click on Participate
The page will then refresh and show your new block at the bottom of the column
Students will see the contents of the module already, as observer, but will not be able to take part e.g., in forums, assignments or other activities.
Once inside the module they need to click the blue Participate button in the Participate block.