This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
How to: Manage hidden resources, sections and modules EASY
Individual resources and sections can be hidden in Moodle, as well as the entire module. The easiest way to tell if anything is hidden is the colour - it will show as 'greyed out'. In many cases there will also be a message on a purple background:
To unhide a module - show or make it visible to students
When modules are created, they are automatically hidden. A quick way to tell if the module is hidden is the title at the top left of the page. This will show as grey text.
This is to make sure that editing teachers can add materials to their module without it being available to students. When the module is ready to be shown, follow these steps:
- You will need to be an Editing Teacher in a module to be able to edit its settings.
- In the Cogwheel / Actions menu click Edit Settings
- Under Course visibility (third item down) click Hide or Show as required
Hide will completely prevent students from seeing or entering the module.
- Click Save and display at the bottom
To hide a section or topic
It can be useful to hide sections from student view if there are materials you'd like to be unavailable.
- Turn editing on
- Click Edit to the right of the section you wish to hide
- Click Hide topic
- The section will now turn grey and is hidden.
- To unhide, follow the same steps but select Show topic
To hide a resource
You can also hide individual resources.
- Turn editing on
- Go to the Edit drop down list next to the resource you'd like to hide
- Select 'Hide'
- The resource will now turn grey.
- To make it visible, go back to the Edit menu and click 'Show'.