This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support (Staff)
This refers to Moodle 3.4 from September 2018 onward.
- Click on the Moodle assignment submission box to load the Grading summary page.
- In the Grading summary page press the view all submissions button.
- This will launch the student submission information table. Check the Select tick box to select all students. If there are some students that have not submitted or you are expecting late submissions then untick those.
Scroll to the bottom and from the From the With selected… dropdown menu select Lock submissions and then press Go.
A pop-up message will appear asking if you want to lock all selected submissions. Press OK.
The submissions will now be locked. This is very important to do because if they are not locked then a student could resubmit an updated assignment.
Once that is done press the Grade button of a student you wish to mark.
- The student’s submission information page will load. Click on the assignment attachment to download the student’s submission.
- Once you have gone through the assignment and are ready to enter a mark click within the textbox in the Grade section in the centre and enter the score.
- If you have enabled Feedback comments or Feedback files within the settings of the Moodle assignment then these will appear below the Grade text box. You can type directly into the textbox for Feedback comments.
For Feedback files you can drag and drop the file you wish to provide the student within the Drop files here to upload area.
- Once you have completed your marking press Save changes. The Reset button will remove all scores/feedback comments and attached feedback files provided you have not pressed Save changes.
You can choose to notify the student that you have added their mark.
To navigate to the next student you can look at the top right of the screen and press the blue triangle on the right to move to the next student. Or you can begin typing the student’s name in the Change user text both.
Or, if you click on the black downward facing triangle it will load up all students on the module and you can click on the student whose assignment you wish to mark.
Return to the Assignment main page by clicking on its Name in the top left (see above).
If you need to access the Moodle assignment settings then you can do so by clicking on the cog icon located in the top-left corner.
- In the assignment, press the View all submissions in the Grading Summary page.
Releasing all marks to students at once
When you are ready to release all marks and feedback to students click on the assignment breadcrumb link in the top-left corner.
The Grading summary page will load, press the View all submissions button.
- The student submission information table page will then load. Scroll down to the Options section and ensure that Assignments per page is set to All. This is to ensure all students are selected.
Check the tick box beneath the Select column on the table. This should then check the boxes of all students.
- Scroll down a little until you reach the With selected… dropdown menu and select Set marking workflow state, then press Go.
A pop up box will appear asking Set marking workflow state for all selected submissions? press OK.
- A page will be loaded that lists all the students. Below all the student names is a drop-down menu called Marking workflow state, from the options select Released.
You can also choose to Notify students in the drop-down menu below by selecting Yes. If you select Yes then the student will receive an email to say the mark has been released. If you would rather email them or post a message in the Announcements forum then leave this set to No.
- When you have selected Released and decided whether to notify the students press the Save changes button.
The page that contains all the submission information for students on the module will be loaded. In the Status column you should see that the status has now been changed to Released. This confirms that the marks have been released to the students.
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic: