Moodle Help & Support
This refers to Moodle 3.11 from August 2022
Grades 5 - Adding Categories and Managing Grades
There are several help sheets in this series. Start with Grades 1 - Introduction & Overview
To add a new category to the Gradebook
If you have several columns in the grades tool it can be helpful to organise them, so for example you could organise into autumn and spring semesters in a year long module, or formative and summative if you have used both assessment types.
- In your module click the 'Cogwheel' and click on 'Gradebook setup'
This is where individual grade column settings can be changed (such as Max grade by using the Edit link at the side of each Grade).
2. In order to add a new category scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Add category'
3. Give your new category a "Category name" then click Show more...
4. Amend any of the other settings as needed then click 'Save changes'
5. Once your category has been created then you can add populate it with the grade columns you would like with it. In the Gradebook setup screen you will see what looks like a very small upwards pointing arrow and downwards pointing arrow by the title of each grade item.
6. Clicking this icon at the side of the Grade item you would like to move will make active the next screen which allows you to select where you want the item moving to.
Alternatively, you can move assessments by selecting the check box by your assignment and then click on the "Move selected items to" dropdown to choose the category for the assignment.
7. When you have finished making changes to your gradebook, click the 'Save changes'