This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support (Staff)
This refers to Moodle 3.4from September 2018 onward.
This guidance shows how to create your own QuickMark set and QuickMarks.
Dependencies – This guidance presumes you know how to create and mark a Turnitin assignment.
Creating your own QuickMarks set
- Click on the Turnitin assignment you wish to create your own QuickMarks for. Example:
- This will load up the Turnitin page that contains the student’s assignments. Towards the right-hand side click on the tickbox icon.
A pop-up window will appear which is the QuickMark Manager screen.
1. SETS column displays all the QuickMark sets available to you.
2. MARKS column displays all the quickmarks within the set.
3.The third column provides information such as what QuickMark set is active.
4. The arrow icon enables you to import or export other QuickMark sets.
To create a new QuickMark set press the + icon within the SETS column.
This will open up a small textbox window. Enter the name of what you want to call your QuickMarks set and press Save.
- You should now see your new QuickMark set within the SETS column. You will notice next to the name there is the number 0 on the right. This indicates that there are no QuickMarks in this set. Click on your QuickMark set to select it.
- To create a brand new QuickMark press the + icon within the MARKS column. Then in the third column give your QuickMark a title that is short. Within the Description column write an explanation about what your comment is about. When you are complete press Save.
You will now see that in the SETS column there is the number 1 to indicate there is one QuickMark in there. Within the MARKS column you will see the name of your new QuickMark.
With the QuickMark selected within the MARKS column you will see in the right-hand column there is an Actions button. If you press this then you will have the following options.
Add to set – Enables you to add this QuickMark to another set. This will make a copy of your QuickMark and place it in the set you choose.
New set – Enables the creation of a new set of QuickMarks
Other – There are two options available, Archive and Remove from this set. If you select Remove from this set then the QuickMark will disappear from the set.
- If you wish to add existing QuickMarks that are in different sets then click on the set which contains the existing QuickMark. Next, within the MARKS column, click on QuickMark you wish to use. Then in the third column press the Actions button and then press Add to set. Then from the list select the set you wish to add it to. This will create a copy of the QuickMark and not move the QuickMark from one set to another.
Once you have finished adding your QuickMarks to your set and are now ready to use it, press the set you wish to make active and then in the third column press the link Make this the active set.
Your set will now have a blue orb next to it to indicate this is the live set.
- Next, press the Close button in the top right of the screen. This will close the QM Manager and you will be returned to the Turnitin page that contains the student assignments.
- Click on the blue pencil on a student’s submission to load Feedback Studio.
- In Feedback Studio the tick button to being up the QuickMarks menu.This will display the active QuickMark set. When you wish to use a QuickMark just drag one and drop it on the assignment where you want to put it.
- If you wanted to select another QuickMark set you can do so by pressing the downward arrow next to the active set. This will then bring up the list of QuickMark sets to choose from.
How to export and import QuickMarks (Method 1)
Your QuickMark sets that you have created will be available to any module that you are able to mark on. However, you may wish to share your QuickMark set with colleagues or import a set you wish to use.
- Press the tickbox icon in the Turnitin assignment page to launch the QuickMark Manager.
- Within the QuickMark Manager pop-up window, choose the set you wish to export by clicking on it. Then press the arrow icon button on the top-right side. This will provide two options, select Export Set….
- Your computer should then prompt you to select where to save the QuickMark file (.qms). Locate where you want to save your QuickMark file and then press Save.
You can now email or store this file for a colleague to use.
- To import a QuickMark set click on the arrow icon button on the top-right side. This will provide two options, select Import Set….
This will bring up an import page, press Choose file. Select the .qms QuickMark file from your computer and press Import.
- When the file has finished uploading you will see the words Import complete at the bottom and the Close button will be clickable. Press Close.
- You will then be returned to the QuickMark Manager and you will see that the QuickMark set you imported can be found within the SETS column.
How to export and import QuickMarks (Method 2)
- You can export QuickMarks via Feedback Studio. To do this go to Feedback Studio and press the QuickMark button. This will open up the QuickMark menu, press the cog icon.
- A Feedback Studio version of the QuickMark manager will load. Press the button with three lines located in the top-left of the screen. A drop down menu will then appear. Press one of the QuickMark sets to select it then press Download Set. This will then prompt the download process similar to method 1 (above).
- To upload a set press the Upload Set button. This will load up the upload window, here you can either drag and drop a .QMS file or if you press Or browse then you can select one from your computer.