This refers to Moodle 3.2 from September 2017 onward
Moodle Help & Support
How to add a reading list to a module
If a module is listed in SATURN/Campus Solutions, then there are two very simple ways to make your reading list available in the module.
First set up your reading list in Talis Aspire
Here are the instructions for the reading list system.
UK: How to create an online reading list in Talis Aspire (PDF Download). Please ensure you link your reading list to your module when setting it up. (See "Linking the list to modules" on Page 10 of the above PDF) More information: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/library/reading-lists/reading-lists.aspx
China: Please refer to the support information on UNNC library website, http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/library/learning-support/reading-lists.aspx
Secondly add the Reading List to your module
Note that if you are teaching in a parent meta-module or a non-SATURN-listed module, you must use method 2
Method 1: add the Modules resources block to your Moodle page
The reading list appears in the Module Resources block. This is normally available by default in all coded modules.
If you cannot see the Module Resources block (shown below) you will need to add it.
To be able to add this (or any other block) you will need editing access to the module (normally as an editing teacher or similar role, such as School Support).
Navigate to the module you want to add the block to, then:
- Click on the Turn editing on button in the top right-hand corner
- Find the Add a block block and click on the drop-down menu box
- Click on the block name "Module Resources"
The page will then refresh and show your new block at either the bottom of the left or right-hand column
You can if you wish move the block to somewhere else within the left or right columns on the page.
To learn more about moving blocks see the How to move or customise the location of blocks help page.
Choosing what 'Module Resources' displays
The Module Resources block can show both a link to the Module Catalogue (for a description of the module) and the relevant reading list for your module.
You can choose what elements are displayed by:
1. Click on the Actions icon for the Module Resources block and select 'Configure Module Resources block'
2. Untick (or ticking) the items you want to display
3. Click on the Save changes button
Method 2: add Reading List to Central Column (Currently only available for UK Talis)
In your module:
- Turn Editing On
- Near where you want the reading list, click Add an activity or resource
- Scroll down and select the radio button next to Course Resource List and Add
- Edit the title if required
- You can also choose whether the list opens on a separate page or inline on the Moodle page
- In the page that comes up, log into Talis Aspire and select the reading list (search for it if required)
- Click Save
To insert just a section of the reading list into a Moodle section
- Ensure you have divided your reading list into sections.
- During the process described above, while in Talis Aspire, click the dropdown arrow next to The List and choose the relevant section (Click Save)
This means that you can insert the relevant part of your reading list in each section or topic in Moodle.
Other related content