This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
Relevant to Moodle 3.6 from July 2019 onward
How to: Manage hidden resources, sections and modules
It is possible to hide individual resources, sections, topics and even entire modules. The easiest way to tell if something is hidden is the colour. Hidden items are usual shown as 'greyed out.'
In many cases, there will also be a purple message.
How to show a module that is invisible to students
When modules are created, they are automatically hidden and will appear as 'greyed out.' This ensures that editing teachers can organise and finalise the layout of a module before making it available to students.
When the module is ready to be shown, follow these steps:
- In the Cogwheel / Actions menu click Edit Settings (you will need to be an editing teacher on the relevant module.)
- Under Course visibility (third item down) click Hide or Show as required.
(Clicking Hide again will make the entire module invisible to all students.)
- Click Save and display at the bottom
How to hide a section or topic
It can be useful to hide sections or topics from student view if there are materials you'd prefer to be unavailable.
- Turn on Editing and click Edit > Hide Section/Topic. The section or topic will become 'greyed out' and will be hidden.
- To unhide, follow the same steps but select Show Section/Topic.
To hide an individual resource
- Turn on Editing and click Edit > Hide.
- The resource will now display a purple 'Hidden from students' message.
- To unhide, follow the same steps but select Show.