Click here to access Moodle System Requirements
- Desktop Computer (either Windows or Apple) with broadband Internet connection (at least 2Mb is suggested)
- Moodle can be accessed on web connected Mobile devices (IPhone, IPad, Android Phone or Tablet).
Due to the limitations of mobile internet it may not be possible to view all files in your module, load audio/video or upload files.
4G internet connection (H+ or greater) is suggested as a minimum.
- IPad App is available here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/moodle-mobile/id633359593 (but we don't recommend it - easier to use your browser of choicewith the completely responsive Moodle website)
- Web browser: Most recent Google Chrome, recent Mozilla Firefox (or minimum version 25), recent Safari (or minimum version 6), Internet Explorer 9 (IE 10 required for drag and drop of files from outside the browser into Moodle) .
Disclaimer: Not all Browsers may support all functionalities in Moodle, E.g. Chrome may not support keyboard shortcuts while submitting assignments.
- The browser must be set to accept ALL cookies and to show the newest version of a page (See http://www.wikihow.com/Enable-Cookies-in-Your-Internet-Web-Browser)
- Pop-up blocker should be disabled
Note that some toolbars such as Google and Yahoo! may have popup blockers by default - it is best not to have such toolbars if possible.
Plugins and hardware
- Media player: such as Windows Media Player (the latest version available can be downloaded for Windows or Mac from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/players.aspx
[alternatively VLC is a free multimedia player which allows you to view most video formats. This is available for PC and Mac ]
- A sound card with speakers or headphones (optional, for some content)
You may need other plugins to enable you to view certain types of content
For Microsoft Office files, viewers provide a means for people who don’t have Office programs to see Office files. Viewers and file converters can be obtained from here Alternatively, install a free alternative to Office – Open Office
Adobe PDF files can be viewed by downloading the free Adobe Acrobat Reader from http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Click here to access Trouble Shooting
The table below shows the specification of your computer.
Click this link to check what browser you have
|Check my browser|
How to accept cookies
How to clear your browser's cache
Broad Band Speed
Two further tools
Internet Explorer 8
The new version of Moodle is unusable in Internet Explorer 8. The screen shots below illustrate why we are alerting users to this problem.
|Moodle In IE8||Moodle in another browser|
Please download one of these up-to-date, free and excellent browsers:
If you can't change your browser because of compatibility issues or you're using Windows XP, consider one of the alternatives such as Chrome or Firefox. They are free, they are updated regularly, they still run on Windows XP, have great support for modern web standards such as HTML5 and CSS3 and they will allow you to have a safer and fuller online experience.
If you are on a computer that is maintained by an admin and you cannot install a new browser, ask your admin about it.
Moodle is also compatible with both Android and Apple tablets and phones.