This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
This refers to Moodle 3.4 from July 2018 onward
In your profile there is a setting to get Moodle to mark new forum posts for you:
- Go to your dashboard by clicking University logo on the top left
- Click on the top right
- Click on the edit button, then Edit settings
- Click on the the > to open the Subscription and Editing options
- Choose which Subscription option you want
- Optional subscription: users aren't subscribed (don't get email alerts) but can choose to be
- Forced subscription: users automatically get update alerts and cannot unsubscribe
- Auto subscription: users start with a subscription but may choose to disable it - OFTEN A GOOD CHOICE
- Subscription disabled - it is never possible to get alerts
- Click Save and return to module or Save and Display
You will then see new posts highlighted in a number of ways, for example:
To receive an email every time someone posts
This means that you wll receive an email (either every time someone posts or once a day, depending on your profile settings)
- Forum auto-subscribe should be set to 'Yes: when I post, subscribe me to that forum'
When you have completed changes to your Profile click on the Update profile button.
IMPORTANT: If you are subscribed, you will receive an email every time someone posts BUT you will no longer see the new posts highlighted in Moodle - the two settings are mutually exclusive.