This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
Written for Moodle 3.4
How to edit the title of a section (topic or week)
One of the most basic tasks in Moodle is to give the sections in the main area of your page appropriate names or titles, e.g. Week 1: Introduction or Assessment and Feedback
The numbering will always run from the top General section then 1 onwards. Sections can be moved around using the cross icon next to the section number, and the rest of the sections will then be automatically renumbered.
Each section (and resource or activity) can be individually hidden from student view. A section can be highlighted, e.g., as the current topic.
How to edit the name of a section or topic
By default sections are named Topic 1, Topic 2, Topic 3 etc. You can edit this to give a more meaningful name – which will also appear in the list of course contents under the hamburger menu.
Turn Editing On
- In the section you want to change: click the Edit icon (grey pencil) to the right of the topic name (see right).
- A box will appear. Type your new Section name into the box.
Press the Enter key on your keyboard to save your new name, or the Escape key to discard changes
How to edit the summary of a section
The summary or description field allows you to add as much information as you like to describe the section or to add further information. We recommend no more than a line or two. The majority of the content should be added as labels, files or other resources, to make the content easier to edit, copy and move.
- In your module click the "Turn editing on" button (top right)
- Scroll to the section that you want to change
- Click Edit to the right of the section title and summary
- Click Edit Topic
- If it still the default Topic X, to edit the title ensure Custom is checked
- Edit the summary (and/or title) as required and click Save changes