This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
This refers to Moodle 3.6 from July 2019 onward
How to: use the Signup Sheet tool
NOTE for non-UoN users: This plugin was built and is maintained by the Moodle team at Nottingham. More info: https://moodle.org/plugins/view/mod_tutorialbooking
The Signup Sheet creates an online equivalent of a paper sign up sheet. It can be used to allow students to book special events, placements, essay titles, field trips, careers interviews or anything at all that uses a sign-up sheet.
The Signup Sheet is an activity that you can add to your Moodle module.
Creating a signup sheet
- Login to your module and click on the Turn editing on button (top right).
- Choose a section within your module where you want the booking tool and click on the + Add an activity or resource hyperlink.
- Select Signup Sheet from the pop up list that appears.
The Adding a new Signup Sheet page will then load.
Change the settings of your tutorial
- Enter a Sign-up List Title E.g. Field trip briefings.
- Type some relevant guidance in the Sign-up List Notes text field e.g. what the event is, or any preparation required.
- If you wish to prevent students from signing up to slots before you are ready, there are two ways to do this. You may change the Locked status to Yes, or, when you return to the module, you may hide the activity by clicking the edit button alongside it, and selecting 'hide' from the drop down options.
- Decide whether you wish students to see the names of people signed up to slots. Choose the appropriate setting in Privacy. (For example for remedial sessions students may wish to remain anonymous.)
- Now click on the button Save and return to module at the bottom of the page.
You will now see the signup sheet added to the bottom of your chosen module section
Creating sign up slots
Once you've created your signup sheet you then need to create the sign-up slots available for your students to book.
To create sign-up slots:
NOTE: The SignUp Sheet can be used to sign up for anything, not just time slots, e.g., placement choice.
- Click on the name of your signup sheet.
The settings page appears. From here you can add, edit, export or delete existing sign-up lists.
To create a new (or add to an existing) sign-up list connected to this tutorial
- click the link Add a Time Slot to this sign-up list.
You are now in the New Time Slot page.
- Give your time slot a Title
- In the Details text field enter further information (Such as Date, Time & Location) about the time slot students can choose E.g. Monday Morning 09:30 Room B123 University Park. This field allows you to format the text.
- You can also set a maximum number of students that can sign up to this time slot by editing the Max Number of Students text field. The default is 30.
- Once you have finished creating the time slot click the button Save at the bottom of the page.
You should now see the newly-created time slot listed on your Time Slot Management page underneath your Signup Sheet, similar to below.
You can create additional time slots using both of the following methods:
- Click Add a Time Slot to this sign-up list.
The screen should redraw with an empty text box.
- Click Edit/Move/Copy for an existing time slot.
When this loads change some of the description e.g. change the day and then click on the button Save as new time slot.
The time slots you have created should all sit inside your SignUp Sheet.
When you have created at least two time slots cross-arrows will appear beside the slot title. These allow you to change the order of the slots on the page (e.g., if you want to have them in chronological order).
If you elected to lock theSignup Sheet activity, you can unlock it from this screen too by clicking on Lock/Unlock Signup Sheet
Or, If you have hidden it, you can reveal it using its Edit link on the module's main page.
Once students have signed up to this time slot you can print off the register (as alphabetical list or by order of signing up) or email the group.