This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
- Click the Navigation menu and select Participants
- Click the Settings/Actions cogwheel icon
- And click Groups
- Click on the Create group button
- Give the group a name, In our example it would be 'Project Group A'
- Next to the box marked Joining Password click and add in a password (press return to save). This password is the one used by students to join this group at the module self-enrolment screen.
Click the "eye" to reveal the detail of the password, if necessary.
- Click on Save changes and the new group will appear in the left-hand column.
- Repeat for as many groups as you need. (You can also set Moodle to generate groups ra number of similarly named groups automatically)
Creating your self-enrolment methods
- Find the Administration block and click on Module administration > Users > Enrolment Click the Actions/Settings cogwheel and select More, then the Users tab
- Click Enrolment methods
- Click on the Add method drop Choose.... drop-down box and choose 'Self enrolment'. You will then be taken to the settings page for the self-enrolment method.
- The only fields you should need to change are:
- Custom instance name. Enter a name for the enrolment method that will be visible to participants e.g. 'Join this module',
- Joining password. Even though you may not use it, a password needs to be entered here in addition to the group passwords set in Groups (they have different functions). The Joining and group passwords cannot be the same. This ensures the enrolment key field for module participation shows when participants go to the module to join; participants do not need this password, they only need the group one. It also prevents people joining the module without being in one of the groups you have created. Our help page for configuring self-enrolment.
- Use group joining password. Make sure this is set to 'Yes'. This enables the group passwords previously set to be used as enrolment keys.
- Once you have configured your self-enrolment method click on the Add method button at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
Enrolling on the module into a group
Students can join the module by navigating to it and entering the password set for the group. In the example below, a group has been created called 'ILM Level 5Project Group A' and a password was distributed to PGR participants on a professional course, as well as a . There is also a separate self-enrolment option (Enrolment Extra for those other users not in that particular group..
The student, when enrolling, enters the Group password rather than the self-enrolment password and is enrolled and immediately added automatically to Project Group A