This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle gives you the ability to send an email message to all the students who are enrolled on your module. The email message will be sent to the email address in the student's profile which has been fixed to the student's University of Nottingham student email address. However: there are certain caveats because students are in charge of their own personal settings.
To contact all students in the module using Announcements or (same thing) the Latest Announcements block
The best way to send a message to all your students (all students in a module) is to create an Announcement - EITHER by clicking on the modulmodule or in the Latest Announcements block:forum at the top of the
- The Latest Announcements block is available in every module (If it is not visible, click on the Turn editing on button, find the Add A Block block and select Latest Announcements from the drop-down menu).
- It puts a post in the News Anbnouncements forum which will remain for ever
- It adds a notification in the Latest News Announcements block (this will show only the most recent posts)
- It will go out by email to all participants (including staff) and they cannot unsubscribe
To send a message to all participants
NOTE: To send a message, it is necessary that the forum is visible to students (not greyed out: click Edit Settings and check that Show is chosen)
You can choose to "Send forum post notifications with no editing-time delay" or - if left unticked, Moodle will give you 30 minutes in which you can edit the text (useful for bad typists!).
The time of receipt still depends on the user's profile settings for one at a time or digest.
Information about the email
- You want to be sure everyone gets the message
- The message contains information that students will need to save or read again “Change of seminar room to C30, Physics Building”
- You want the message to be easily found if people need to come back to it
NOTE: If the message needs action within 24 hours, students set to digest may not receive it in time. This method should not be used for urgent or emergency announcements (use mail through SATURN Campus, or an email list for those).
How the student receives the email depends on their settings. They may receive each individual announcement email separately, or, it if this is set in their profile (and it is default for students), all announcements and forum alerts are bundled up in one email Digest per day. Remind students to check all emails with the subject heading “moodle.Nottingham Forum Digest”. These emails arrive at the end of the day (around 5 pm) so students may not receive an email until up to 24 hours after you post it.
This process sends a message to each student. They receive it in one of the following ways:1. If they are ONLINE it pops
- It shows up as a notification of a message and the message itself goes into their Messages folder in Moodle (and may go by email).
2. If they are OFFLINE then it goes into their messages folder and is sent as an email.
- As an email. Whether they receive an email depends on their settings. It is possible for individuals to change their preferences on how to receive messages so these defaults
- of sending emails may have changed. Some individuals may opt not to see any messages at all so you can’t be sure your message got to them!
Messages by email allowed:
Messages by email NOT allowed:
Note: There is NO subject or module context on the message – is it sent from one person (e.g., a module convenor) to another (student) so you should include the name of the module in the message to give it a context.