This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of every page.
This refers to Moodle 3.10 11 from August 2021 2022 onwards
How to create a forum with groups
- Go into the module and click on the 'Cogwheel' and select 'Edit settings'.
2. Scroll down to Groups and and open section and in "Group mode" choose from 'Visible groups' or 'Separate groups'.
- Separate groups - are used so that the students do not see what one another are doing. So far as they are concerned they are the only group in the forum.
- Visible groups - means they can see the postings of the other groups but may not reply to them.
3. Click on the Save and display button button.
Now set up your groups (See: How To create groups and groupings).
To set up a forum with groups
- Navigate to your module and click on the 'Turn editing on' icon in the top right
- In the relevant topic/section, click Add an activity or resource
- A window will appear. Click on the word 'Forum' and you will be taken to the 'Adding a new Forum' screen.
4. Give the forum a "Name" and "Description" . (The Description is where the instructions or guidelines will go, or, for Single Simple Discussion, this will be the first post).
5. Select the "Forum type" you want.
There are 5 types of discussion forums (in addition to the special Announcements forum, see above).
- A single simple discussion - this is a forum with only one topic. Users can only reply to the original topic (and to replies) not create new topics. The Description will be the first post.
- Each person posts one discussion - handy for class introductions, each user can only post one discussion topic (replies are not limited).
- Q and A forum - this forum allows you to post a question (or questions) and students must reply with their answers first before seeing other student responses.
- Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format.
- Standard forum for general use - anyone can post new topics/subjects and reply to this forum.
7. Click the arrow next to "Subscription and tracking" to expand this section. In "Subscription mode" choose choose which subscription option you want.
The options available are:
- Optional subscription - users aren’t subscribed (don’t get email alerts) but can choose to be.
- Forced subscription - users automatically get update alerts and cannot unsubscribe.
- Auto subscription - means users start with a subscription but may choose to disable it – OFTEN A GOOD CHOICE.
- Subscription disabled - it is never possible to get alerts.
8. Under the "Common module settings" heading, in the "Group mode" drop-down menu select 'Separate groups' or or 'Visible groups'.
9. Click on the 'Save and return to module' button
You can now go into the forum and start posting messages.
- Click into the forum.
- If you have selected 'Visible groups' in the forum settings...
3. Once the group is selected, Click on the 'Add a new discussion topic' button button.
4. Type a "Subject" and "Message" and add any attachments via the Advanced link.
5. When you are ready, click on the 'Post to forum' button