Page tree

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.


Deck of Cards
idMy Deck
labelSchool Funding for Conferences/Research

Financial Support for Research from the School Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee

Research Students are able to apply for research funding from the School's Research Committee.

Who can apply?

  • All registered PhD students in the School.
  • Students who are in thesis pending are not normally eligible to apply for funding.
  • Applications will be considered on the basis of merit.
  • Students who apply for funding must make sure that they are up to date with supervisions (and the paperwork is with the Senior Student Services Administrator responsible for PGR), and have satisfied all other requirements of annual review.
  • Retrospective requests will not usually be considered

What can I apply for?

  • Support for giving a paper at a conference

The School will normally award a maximum of £300 for conference participation during each student's period of registration.

Applications for Conference Participation should usually be match-funded.

Conference Participation must include either the delivery of a paper or poster. Funding for conference attendance alone will not be supported.

  • Travel for research purposes (e.g. visiting an archive or library work)

The School will normally award a maximum of £150 to support the travel costs associated with these research activities during each student's period of registration. Match funding is not required for these events.

  • Participation payments

e.g. for those projects which require human participants as a fundamental part of their research (e.g. a questionnaire). The current rate for Participation Payments is £5 per participant. The maximum amount students can request per academic year for Participation Payments is £500. 

  • Other research activities

e.g. to support a Postgraduate conference or research seminar series in the School

How do I apply?

Students are responsible for contacting their Supervisors well before these deadlines to ensure that their paperwork is ready for submission.

From 21 March 2017 RKEC requires a report on all funding it awards.  The report form can be found here RKEC funding report form.  This report must be sent within 1 month of the completion of the research funded by RKEC.


Submission Deadlines

School Research and KE Committee Funding Deadline
Graduate School Travel Prize Deadline**

Travel Period

Friday 20 September 2019* (RKEC 2 October 2019))

Thursday 05 September 2019 4pm

04 Nov 2019 - 2 Feb 2020

Friday 15 November Monday 2 December 2019* (RKEC 27 November 12 December 2019)

Thursday 05 Friday 6 December 2019 4pm

28 Jan 2020 - 5 May 2020

Friday 10 January 2020* (RKEC 21 January 2020)

Friday 6 March 2020 4pm

29 April 2020 - 11 August 2020

Friday 28 February 2020* (RKEC 11 March 2020)
Friday 5 June 2020 4pm1 August 2020 - 31 October 2020

Friday 8 May 2020* (RKEC 20 May 2020)

Friday 12 June 2020* (RKEC 24 June 2020)

Friday 4 September 20204 November 2020 - 2 February 2021

*These published deadlines may be after the deadline for the Graduate School Travel Prize:  If you wish the School Research Committee to consider a request for Graduate School Travel Prize match funding, please submit your application for funding to Sarah Nolan at least one week before the above Graduate School deadline.

**Note that the Graduate School Travel Prize deadlines are for reference: it is not essential to apply for the GSTP if you are applying for School Research Committee funding, however please note that applications for Conference Participation should usually be match-funded and the Graduate School Travel Prize is one of the ways in which you can apply for match funding.  Match funding might also be from a private source.

Successful Applications - RKEC

Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by Sarah Nolan, Research Administrator who will assist with payments, project codes, and other financial details. Successful applicants should ensure that any funds are claimed within the appropriate academic year.

Reports from previous recipients of Research and KE Committee funding can be found here: 

Successful Applications - Graduate School Travel Prize (Students)

Applicants will be notified of the outcome by the Graduate School. However, travel quotations and bookings should be made via Sarah Nolan, room A107 (Trent Building), in the School of English. Additional information is available in the Travel and Insurance section.

labelGraduate School Prizes and Faculty Funding to Study a Language

Graduate School Travel Prize

The University's Graduate School offers a number of opportunities each year to apply for funding to support your research. These prestigious prizes support research students to attend a national or international conference to present their research, or make a short visit to another institute to use or consult essential resources.

Graduate School Travel Prize Website.

Please note that students have overall responsibility for submitting the final version of their application to the Graduate School in accordance with the Graduate School's requirements and within the deadline.

Faculty of Arts funding for studying modern languages

The Faculty of Arts Modern Language grant scheme has been established to allow research students in the Faculty of Arts who do not have other sources of funding, to undertake modules or evening classes in modern languages offered by the University’s Language Centre, which are important for the development of the student’s research project.  

Details have been circulated to students and supervisors via Student Services. Further information and an online application form can be found at:  

labelExternal Funding

The University of Nottingham Interdisciplinary Centre for Analytical Science (UNICAS)

This is a cross-faculty initiative providing funding for collaborative projects, focused on research equipment, and analytical science. 
PhD students can also apply for funding to support their projects.

Funds for Women Graduates

'Funds for Women Graduates' offers a small number of funds to help out with women undertaking postgraduate research, including:

  • Foundation Grants which make a contribution towards living expenses
  • Emergency Grants which help graduate women facing an unforeseen financial crisis whilst engaged in study or research
  • The Theodora Bosanquet Bursary (TBB) which is offered annually to women graduates whose research in History or English Literature requires a short residence in London in the summer. It provides accommodation in a hall of residence for up to 4 weeks between mid June and mid September. 

Please visit the website for further details:

Applying for Funding after you start your studies

You may find that you do not have to be an applicant to apply for funding. Some awards are accessible to students who have already begun their course, such as:

  • AHRC - If a student has already commenced doctoral study, they may still be eligible for AHRC studentship funding provided they will be studying for at least one more year full-time or 20 months part-time (excluding the writing up period). A student who has already commenced their study on a part-time basis can be supported by the AHRC to continue their studies full-time.
  • Sir Richard Stapley - The trust welcomes applications from those who have already embarked upon their course, however full-time PhD students beyond their third year of study, and part-time students beyond their sixth year of study, will not be supported.
  • British Federation of Women Graduates The BFWG is very clear on it's website about the range of dates between which you should have started your course to be eligible. Do check the website , as you might be eligible
  • The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding This guide details how to find and apply to alternative sources of funding - especially charities - which make awards to current and prospective graduate students.Visit the webpage to download the guide.
  • The UK Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding This booklet collects useful information on a wide range of postgraduate funding opportunities: 
labelTravel and Insurance

Booking Travel and Travel Insurance

Please note that from 1 August 2019 students complete a new form to claim funds for travel and expenses; students now complete a Student Exception Form and monies will be transferred via the bank account set up in Campus Solutions.

1.  For Students in receipt of full funding for travel

Students who are in receipt of full funding at the time of booking (e.g. from the School of English, Graduate School Travel Prizes, research training travel awards e.g. RTSG funding from a Research Council) must have their travel booked and paid for through the School of English using the project code provided at the time of funding confirmation. This will ensure that the trip is automatically covered by University travel insurance.  Students who choose to book their travel independently must ensure that they also purchase travel insurance.

NOTE: Flights for fully funded travel must be booked through Sarah Nolan in order for the travel to be covered by University travel insurance.

This is especially important in terms of international flights.

Please note that if you are extending your stay for personal reasons by more than two days the total time spent not travelling on University business should not be more than a third of the total time spent abroad.  For any period longer than this please seek advice from Commercial Services before travelling.

To book a flight using the awarded funding, please forward the award confirmation email to along with the specific details of the flight you need to be booked.  Please bear in mind that costs may vary between online providers and the system that the University uses to book the flights. Costs may also vary depending on length of time between obtaining an original quote and the time of booking.

Please allow at least 3 working days for your request to be processed.
  We will do our best to book that particular flight but if unavailable or if there has been a dramatic change in price, we will let you know of alternative flights that may meet your needs.  If your request is particularly time-sensitive and urgent, please tag the email with high importance and state the urgency in the email.  Please note that you must give as much advance notice as possible to accommodate periods of annual leave, University closure over Christmas and Easter etc.

When the flight is booked, you will receive an email confirming the travel itinerary with the flight details.  Please note that this is not the ticket.  You will need to go to the airline’s website and log-in using the information provided in the email itinerary to check-in and add passport information and flight preferences.

If your funding also covers accommodation and you are planning to stay in a hotel, you may wish to book this direct and claim your accommodation expenses when you return from your trip.  Please let Sarah Nolan know what you intend to do and make sure that you complete an expense claim form.

If you are travelling by train outside the UK, please forward your funding award notification email to Sarah Nolan with the details of the train tickets you want to book.  
If you are travelling by train within the UK, you may book these tickets yourself and claim back using the expense claim form.
Please note that if we book the train travel for you, the tickets will need to be collected at the station and you must have the confirmation code from the email with you to collect them.  

For all other expenses you incur directly for the trip that are covered by the funding, please complete a standard expense claim form and submit it along with the receipts to Sarah Nolan with 'EXPENSES' in the subject title.  Any forms submitted that are incomplete (including but not limited to missing receipts) will not be processed.  

2.  For Students in receipt of partial funding for travel

For all expenses you incur directly for a trip that is partially covered by funding, please complete a standard expense claim form and submit it along with the receipts to Sarah Nolan with 'EXPENSES' in the subject title.  Any forms submitted that are incomplete (including but not limited to missing receipts) will not be processed.  

3.  Travel Insurance

Please note, the University Travel Insurance will only cover staff and student travel booked in accordance with the University Travel Policy.  It does not cover travel against FCO advice. If you are travelling to a country against the advice of the FCO, a full risk assessment and travel itinerary must be provided to Procurement-Insurance.  For more information, please visit the Business Travel Insurance page.

Make sure to keep both a hardcopy and electronic copy of the Travel Policy Information and the Chubb Assistance ECard with you while travelling.  

  • The insurance policy will not extend to others where the travel is booked on behalf of a third party.
  • This policy works with the Chubb Assistance ECard and all contact for emergency assistance should be made directly to Chubb Assistance.
  • The University Travel Insurance Policy is automatic for short travel up to 3 months - for longer periods of travel, Sarah Nolan will need to notify UoN Procurement to request an extension on the coverage.  Please keep this in mind and allow a little extra time for the booking.

If your travel is fully funded and you have opted to book your own flights, you will not be covered by University travel insurance and will be responsible for purchasing your own travel insurance.

University travel insurance will not cover students whose travel is partially funded (e.g. from the School of English, Graduate School Travel Prizes, research training travel awards e.g.  RTSG funding from a Research Council) or self funded.  Students must purchase their own travel insurance.

Travel Insurance Policy

Chubb Assistance eCard

4.  Extended Trips

On rare occasions if the trip is particularly lengthy and the expenditure is expected to be high and largely cannot be prepaid, a travel allowance cash advance may be necessary.  This option should be a last resort and is subject to the University's and funder's (if externally funded) terms and conditions.  Expenditure of the cash advance must be tracked very carefully and reconciled along with the receipts within two months of returning.  Any funds not reconciled will be required to be returned.

Please read the PG Travel Allowance guidance notes below (1) carefully and submit the completed PSTA (2) to the School Operations and Research Office (Trent A107).

  1. Postgraduate Travel Allowance Cash Advance Guidance Notes
  2. Postgraduate Student Travel Allowance Request Form (PSTA)
  3. Postgraduate Travel Allowance Reconciliation Form (PTAR) - note: if the expenditure is lengthy, please summarise by expenditure type on front sheet (ie accommodation, subsistence, travel fares, etc) and attach a list of expenditure on a separate sheet with the details and receipts.  Mark each line of expenditure (with a number for example) and write the number on the corresponding receipt.

5. Travel Risk Assessment

Include Page
GEN Travel Risk Assessment
GEN Travel Risk Assessment

labelPastoral Care & Student Support

Pastoral Care in the School

Your Supervisor acts as your Personal Tutor, academic guide and main point of contact in the School.

You also have an independent Postgraduate Student Adviser (Dr Lucie Sutherland in 2019/20) to advise research students and to deal confidentially with any concern raised by research students about their research studies and supervision.

Other key roles are the Director of Graduate Studies (Dr Joanna Martin in 2019/20) and Senior Tutor (Dr Mike Jones in 2019/20) for research students to contact if they wish to discuss any aspect of their pastoral care whilst at University.

Include Page
STU Student IT and Library info
STU Student IT and Library info

Include Page
GEN UoN Support for Students
GEN UoN Support for Students
labelEvent Organisation

The School of English offers funding to PhD students who wish to organise research events (e.g. PhD conference).

Include Page
STAFF and PGR - Risk assessment and Prevent Duty - events, conferences, visiting speakers/teachers
STAFF and PGR - Risk assessment and Prevent Duty - events, conferences, visiting speakers/teachers

Include Page
labelExternal Partners

External Partners

Students may occasionally visit an international campus or external partner as part of their PhD.  In these instances it is important that the student and supervisor follow these School procedures and complete the appropriate Application Form (see below):

  • Students must agree all visits in advance with supervisor in the first instance
  • Supervisors must make the first contact with the host/international campus
  • Student must follow up any agreements in writing via email to confirm the arrangements and cc: the supervisor in to all emails confirming the arrangements
  • An application form must be completed by the student, and a supporting statement provided by the Supervisor, signed off by the Head of School
  • All paperwork must be retained by Jo Pullen once approved
  • Only once formal permission has been given should travel arrangements be booked and visa applications made
  • Travel bookings must come through the School Management and Research Office
  • Two risk assessments must be completed – one for the travel and the second for the research project.  If additional ethics paperwork and/or data management plan completed, then this must be done before travel and agreed with the Supervisor and Ethics Officer as appropriate.

Application forms can be downloaded here: UNNC Visiting PhD: Other Visiting PhD 

labelInternational Collaborative Research Funding

The International Research Collaboration Award (IRCA) 

The International Research Collaboration Award (IRCA) funding is available through the Graduate School and supports the creation of novel research collaborations through researcher mobility. This award offers you an opportunity to broaden your international experience as a researcher through a research visit, of up to two months duration. The collaboration could be with an organisation based anywhere in the world.

Through the support of this award you will deepen your understanding of research in an international arena, establish a network of contacts, and gain the skills and attitudes required to make a success of your career as a global researcher. 

An IRCA can be for any amount up to £3,000.