This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
- Navigate to your module. Inside your module, find the Administration block and click on Module administration > Users > Enrolment methods.click on the Cogwheel menu and click on More
- Select Users tab
- and Enrolment methods
- Self enrolment will either be listed in the list of enrolment methods or it won't.
Tip: You may find that the self-enrolment method is there but is greyed out out as in the image above (Often entitled Self-enrolment (Start of Term) or Self-enrolment (Autumn Semester) or similar). In this case you will only need to unhide it (click on the Eye icon). Start of term allows students (1) to self enrol until, e.g., 18th October and (2) to be automatically unenrolled after 35 days, unless they have officially been enrolled on the module in SATURN. You can amend these settings by clicking on the Edit icon) (see step 3).
- If the self-enrolment method is not listed click on the Add method drop-down box and choose ‘Self-enrolment’.
- You will then be taken to the settings page for the self-enrolment method. Please see below for a description of each of the configurable choices.
The minimum settings you need (leaving others as default) are:
- Allow new enrolments = Yes
- Joining password - add one here if you wish
- Once you have configured your self-enrolment method click on the ‘Add method’ button at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
- If you have left settings at default, the self-enrolment will never expire. Participants can unenrol themselves again if necessary.
Method 2: Enabling self-
enrolment if students are already observers on all modules in a category
Follow the instructions for Method 1
- Click on the Turn editing on button
- Scroll Drop down the module screen Hamburger / Navigation menu and find the Add A Block block with the Add... drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down list, click on ParticipateBS Enrol block
The page will then refresh and show your new block at the bottom of the column
Students will see the contents of the module already, as observer, but will not be able to take part e.g., in forums, assignments or other activities.