This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
How to send the students on your module an email
|Table of Contents|
Moodle gives you the ability to send an email message to all the students who are enrolled on your module. The email message will be sent to the email address in the student's profile which has been fixed to the student's University of Nottingham student email address.
The best way to send a message to all your students (all students in a module) is to create an Announcement - EITHER by:
- clicking on the forum at the top of the
- module OR
- clicking Add a new topic in the Latest Announcements block
The Latest Announcements block is available in every module
: If it is not visible,
to make it visible:
- Click on the Turn editing on button, find the
- Click the Hamburger menu (Nav drawer)
- Scroll down to and select Add A Block block and select
- Select Latest Announcements from the drop-down menu).
A post in Announcements
- It puts a post in the News Announcements (forum) which will remain for ever unless deleted (always there for students to refer to)
- It adds a notification in the Latest News announcements block (this will show only the most recent posts)
- It will go out by email to all participants (including staff enrolled on the module) and they cannot unsubscribe
To send a message to all participants
NOTE: To send a message it is necessary that the students (not greyed out: click Edit Settings and check that Show is chosen)studentsforum is visible to
- Go into your module
- Click on "Announcements" (or go to the Latest Announcements block)
- Click on the Add a new topic button (or hyperlink if in the Latest Announcements block)
- Type a Subject and type your Message
- Add an attachment if you wish
- Click on the Post to forum button
The time of receipt still depends on the user's profile settings for one at a time or digest.
Information about the email
The email is sent FROM the Moodle system – and it will have the module code in the Subject.
NOTE: You can manage the emails you get from Moodle
This is the best option if:
- You want to be sure everyone gets the message
- The message contains information that students will need to save or read again “Change of seminar room to C30, Physics Building”
- You want the message to be easily found if people need to come back to it
The best way to send a message to students is to email them via the Announcement forumAnnouncements. However, you can also send a message to individual students or a group or small proportion of students on a module , (say up to 15 or so students).
You can use the Participants list to send a Moodle message.
To open the Participants List:
- Open the hamburger menu (nav drawer)
- Select Participants
To send a message:
- In the Participants list, select the tickbox next to one or more students and at the bottom of the page choose from the dropdown menu “Send a message”.
This is more like a TEXT MESSAGE.
- You want to send a quick personal message
- The message is informal, quickly read and does not need to be kept
- You don’t need the message to be easily found, as people are unlikely to need to read it again
To send a message to certain participants:
- Navigate to the module (that the students are enrolled on) that you want to email. Under the Navigation area select participants.
- A new screen will load listing the first 20 students on this module. If you want to email all of the students on this module then you will need to bring up all of the students on the one screen.
- You can do this by clicking the hyperlink at the bottom saying Show all xxx – in this case xxx = 311.
- Once you have the new longer screen loaded you can then click on the Select all button, and then choose "send a message" from the drop down list (see below).