This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
This applies to Moodle 3.4 from September 2018 onward
This page shows you how to use conditional activities and completion tracking, which can be used for a variety of purposes, from monitoring completion of the whole course, to making one activity or resource conditional upon the students having accessed another previously, to allow students to track their self-study.
For a resource, this will be "view" - although it only really checks whether the student has opened the resource, it can't know if they've actually looked at it!
See below for a list of what can constitute completion for activities.
Note: Completion tracking must be turned on BEFORE the conditional resources or activities are added.
How to turn on completion tracking
- Navigate to your module
- Find the Administration block and click on Module administration > Edit settings
- Press the cog icon to reveal the dropdown menu. From the dropdown menu select Edit settings.
- Scroll down to the section entitled Completion tracking. From the Enable completion tracking drop-down menu select "Yes"Click on select Yes. Press the Save changesand display button
To set up an activity conditional on completion of a previous one:
- Set up the FIRST resource or activity
- Navigate to your module and click on the button the editing button (top right)
- Click on the + Add an activity or resource hyperlink as usual
- Add the resource or activity you want, e.g., Select a File resource and upload a Powerpoint, named Preliminary Material
- Complete the settings
- Under the heading Activity completion
- From the Completion tracking drop-down menu choose "Show activity as complete when conditions are met"
For a resource:
- click .
If you have added the File resource then you will only have one condition to select. Other resources may have different conditions to select from.
- Check the tickbox Student must view this activity to complete it as the condition
- Set the conditions for completion, e.g., check Require grade: "Student must receive a grade to complete this activity"
(For a forum) Require replies: "Student must post replies: [enter number e.g., 2]"
- Click on the Save and return to module button