Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

    Financial Support for Research from the School Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee

    Research Students are able to apply for research funding from the School's Research Committee.

    Who can apply?

    • All registered PhD students in the School.
    • Students who are in thesis pending are not normally eligible to apply for funding.
    • Applications will be considered on the basis of merit.
    • Students who apply for funding must make sure that they are up to date with supervisions (and the paperwork is with the Senior Student Services Administrator responsible for PGR), and have satisfied all other requirements of annual review.
    • Retrospective requests will not usually be considered

    What can I apply for?

    • Support for giving a paper at a conference

    The School will normally award a maximum of £300 for conference participation during each student's period of registration.

    Applications for Conference Participation should usually be match-funded.

    Conference Participation must include either the delivery of a paper or poster. Funding for conference attendance alone will not be supported.

    • Travel for research purposes (e.g. visiting an archive or library work)

    The School will normally award a maximum of £150 to support the travel costs associated with these research activities during each student's period of registration. Match funding is not required for these events.

    • Participation payments

    e.g. for those projects which require human participants as a fundamental part of their research (e.g. a questionnaire). The current rate for Participation Payments is £5 per participant. The maximum amount students can request per academic year for Participation Payments is £500. 

    • Other research activities

    e.g. to support a Postgraduate conference or research seminar series in the School

    How do I apply?

    Students are responsible for contacting their Supervisors well before these deadlines to ensure that their paperwork is ready for submission.

    From 21 March 2017 RKEC requires a report on all funding it awards.  The report form can be found here RKEC funding report form  This report must be sent within 1 month of the completion of the research funded by RKEC.

    Submission Deadlines

    School Research and KE Committee Funding Deadline
    Graduate School Travel Prize Deadline**

    Travel Period

    Friday 16 November 2018* (RKEC 28 Nov 2018)

    Thursday 06 September 2018 4pm

    01 Nov 2018 - 10 Feb 2019

    Friday 04 January 2019* (RKEC 16 Jan 2019)

    Thursday 06 December 2018 4pm

    28 Jan 2019 - 12 May 2019

    Friday 01 March 2019* (RKEC 13 Mar 2019)

    Thursday 07 March 2019 4pm

    29 Apr 2019 - 11 Aug 2019

    Friday 10 May 2019* (RKEC 22 May 2019)
    Thursday 06 June 2019 4pm 01 Aug 2019 - 10 Nov 2019
     Friday 14 June 2019* (RKEC 26 Jun 2019)
    Thursday 05 September 2019 4pm 04 Nov 2019 - 02 Feb 2020

    *These published deadlines may be after the deadline for the Graduate School Travel Prize:  If you wish the School Research Committee to consider a request for Graduate School Travel Prize match funding, please submit your application for funding to Sarah Nolan at least one week before the above Graduate School deadline.

    **Note that the Graduate School Travel Prize deadlines are for reference: it is not essential to apply for the GSTP if you are applying for School Research Committee funding, however please note that applications for Conference Participation should usually be match-funded and the Graduate School Travel Prize is one of the ways in which you can apply for match funding.  Match funding might also be from a private source.

    Successful Applications - RKEC

    Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by Sarah Nolan, Research Administrator.
    Rebecca Peck, Assistant Operations Manager, will assist with payments, project codes, and other financial details. Successful applicants should ensure that any funds are claimed within the appropriate academic year.

    Reports from previous recipients of Research and KE Committee funding can be found here: 

    Successful Applications - Graduate School Travel Prize (Students)

    Applicants will be notified of the outcome by the Graduate School. However, travel quotations and bookings should be made via Sarah Nolan, room A107 (Trent Building), in the School of English. Additional information is available in the Travel and Insurance section.

    Graduate School Travel Prize

    The University's Graduate School offers a number of opportunities each year to apply for funding to support your research. These prestigious prizes support research students to attend a national or international conference to present their research, or make a short visit to another institute to use or consult essential resources.

    Graduate School Travel Prize Website.

    Please note that students have overall responsibility for submitting the final version of their application to the Graduate School in accordance with the Graduate School's requirements and within the deadline.

    The University of Nottingham Interdisciplinary Centre for Analytical Science (UNICAS)

    This is a cross-faculty initiative providing funding for collaborative projects, focused on research equipment, and analytical science. 
    PhD students can also apply for funding to support their projects.

    Funds for Women Graduates

    'Funds for Women Graduates' offers a small number of funds to help out with women undertaking postgraduate research, including:

    • Foundation Grants which make a contribution towards living expenses
    • Emergency Grants which help graduate women facing an unforeseen financial crisis whilst engaged in study or research
    • The Theodora Bosanquet Bursary (TBB) which is offered annually to women graduates whose research in History or English Literature requires a short residence in London in the summer. It provides accommodation in a hall of residence for up to 4 weeks between mid June and mid September. 

    Please visit the website for further details:

    Applying for Funding after you start your studies

    You may find that you do not have to be an applicant to apply for funding. Some awards are accessible to students who have already begun their course, such as:

    • AHRC - If a student has already commenced doctoral study, they may still be eligible for AHRC studentship funding provided they will be studying for at least one more year full-time or 20 months part-time (excluding the writing up period). A student who has already commenced their study on a part-time basis can be supported by the AHRC to continue their studies full-time.
    • Sir Richard Stapley - The trust welcomes applications from those who have already embarked upon their course, however full-time PhD students beyond their third year of study, and part-time students beyond their sixth year of study, will not be supported.
    • British Federation of Women Graduates The BFWG is very clear on it's website about the range of dates between which you should have started your course to be eligible. Do check the website , as you might be eligible
    • The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding This guide details how to find and apply to alternative sources of funding - especially charities - which make awards to current and prospective graduate students.Visit the webpage to download the guide.
    • The UK Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding This booklet collects useful information on a wide range of postgraduate funding opportunities: 

    Booking Travel and Travel Insurance

    1.  For Students in receipt of full funding for travel

    Students who are in receipt of full funding at the time of booking (e.g. from the School of English, Graduate School Travel Prizes, research training travel awards e.g. RTSG funding from a Research Council) may have their travel booked and paid for through the School of English using the project code provided at the time of funding confirmation. This will ensure that the trip is automatically covered by University travel insurance.  Students who choose to book their travel independently must ensure that they also purchase travel insurance.

    This is especially important in terms of international flights.

    Please note that if you are extending your stay for personal reasons by more than two days the total time spent not travelling on University business should not be more than a third of the total time spent abroad.  For any period longer than this please seek advice from Commercial Services before travelling.

    To book a flight using the awarded funding, please forward the award confirmation email to along with the specific details of the flight you need booked.  Please bear in mind that costs may vary between online providers and the system that the University uses to book the flights. Costs may also vary depending on length of time between obtaining an original quote and the time of booking.

    Please allow at least 3 working days for your request to be processed.
      We will do our best to book that particular flight but if unavailable or if there has been a dramatic change in price, we will let you know of alternative flights that may meet your needs.  If your request is particularly time-sensitive and urgent, please tag the email with high importance and state the urgency in the email.  Please note that Simon Hopkins does not work on Fridays, so you must give as much advance notice as possible to accommodate periods of annual leave, University closure over Christmas and Easter etc.

    When the flight is booked, you will receive an email confirming the travel itinerary with the flight details.  Please note that this is not the ticket.  You will need to go to the airline’s website and log-in using the information provided in the email itinerary to check-in and add passport information and flight preferences.

    If your funding also covers accommodation and you are planning to stay in a hotel, you may wish to book this direct and claim your accommodation expenses when you return from your trip.  Please let Simon Hopkins know what you intend to do and make sure that you complete an expense claim form.
    Flights for fully funded travel must be booked through Simon Hopkins in order for the travel to be covered by University travel insurance.

    If you are travelling by train outside the UK, please forward your funding award notification email to Simon Hopkins with the details of the train tickets you want to book.  
    If you are travelling by train within the UK, you may book these tickets yourself and claim back using the expense claim form.
    Please note that if we book the train travel for you, the tickets will need to be collected at the station and you must have the confirmation code from the email with you to collect them.  

    For all other expenses you incur directly for the trip that are covered by the funding, please complete a standard expense claim form and submit it along with the receipts to Simon Hopkins with 'EXPENSES' in the subject title.  Any forms submitted that are incomplete (including but not limited to missing receipts) will not be processed.  

    2.  For Students in receipt of partial funding for travel

    For all expenses you incur directly for a trip that is partially covered by funding, please complete a standard expense claim form and submit it along with the receipts to Simon Hopkins with 'EXPENSES' in the subject title.  Any forms submitted that are incomplete (including but not limited to missing receipts) will not be processed.  

    3.  Travel Insurance

    Please note, the University Travel Insurance will only cover staff and student travel booked in accordance with the University Travel Policy.  It does not cover travel against FCO advice. If you are travelling to a country against the advice of the FCO, a full risk assessment and travel itinerary must be provided to Procurement-Insurance.  For more information, please visit the Business Travel Insurance page.

    Make sure to keep both a hardcopy and electronic copy of the Travel Policy Information and the Chubb Assistance ECard with you while travelling.  

    • The insurance policy will not extend to others where the travel is booked on behalf of a third party.
    • This policy works with the Chubb Assistance ECard and all contact for emergency assistance should be made directly to Chubb Assistance.
    • The University Travel Insurance Policy is automatic for short travel up to 3 months - for longer periods of travel, Simon Hopkins will need to notify UoN Procurement to request an extension on the coverage.  Please keep this in mind and allow a little extra time for the booking.

    If your travel is fully funded and you have opted to book your own flights, you will not be covered by University travel insurance and will be responsible for purchasing your own travel insurance.

    University travel insurance will not cover students whose travel is partially funded (e.g. from the School of English, Graduate School Travel Prizes, research training travel awards e.g.  RTSG funding from a Research Council) or self funded.  Students must purchase their own travel insurance.

    Travel Insurance Policy

    Chubb Assistance eCard

    4.  Extended Trips

    On rare occasions if the trip is particularly lengthy and the expenditure is expected to be high and largely cannot be prepaid, a travel allowance cash advance may be necessary.  This option should be a last resort and is subject to the University's and funder's (if externally funded) terms and conditions.  Expenditure of the cash advance must be tracked very carefully and reconciled along with the receipts within two months of returning.  Any funds not reconciled will be required to be returned.

    Please read the PG Travel Allowance guidance notes below (1) carefully and submit the completed PSTA (2) to the School Operations and Research Office (Trent A90).

    1. Postgraduate Travel Allowance Cash Advance Guidance Notes
    2. Postgraduate Student Travel Allowance Request Form (PSTA)
    3. Postgraduate Travel Allowance Reconciliation Form (PTAR) - note: if the expenditure is lengthy, please summarise by expenditure type on front sheet (ie accommodation, subsistence, travel fares, etc) and attach a list of expenditure on a separate sheet with the details and receipts.  Mark each line of expenditure (with a number for example) and write the number on the corresponding receipt.

    5. Travel Risk Assessment

    It is the responsibility of the student (identified as the 'Trip Organiser' in this policy) to undertake a School of English Travel Risk Assessment Form when travelling on University business to countries/regions including those that are not known to present a risk to travellers (e.g. EU, North America etc.) This also includes visits where the work does not involve hazardous materials/operations and where there are no high risk leisure activities. These guidance notes are not appropriate for activities/trips to remote/high risk destinations where a full risk assessment must be undertaken and may need to be submitted to the Safety Office for review by the University’s Expedition Peer Review Panel (EPRP.)

    • The Trip Organiser (student) should undertake a risk assessment before the trip takes place
    • They should ensure that all safety precautions and control measures identified as required by the risk assessment are implemented and observed for the duration of the trip
    • Where fully funded by the School, research council etc., all organised travel MUST be booked through Simon Hopkins to ensure all liability risks are minimised and travellers are covered by University insurance
    • Authorisation by the School for student travel will not be given until a full risk assessment has been undertaken
    • As part of the risk assessment, students must check that it is safe to travel by going to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) website:

    University Guidance and Information (including using IT and Library)

    The University has produced a number of useful documents to help guide you through your studies and offer key information. These include:

    •  a guide to IT and library services
    • Studying Effectively web pages, with lots of resources to help you with all aspects of teaching, learning and assessment

    Further help and information can be found on the University's web pages for current students.

    Back to top

    University Support for Students

    Student Services at the University of Nottingham

    Your first port of call for assistance should be the Student Services Centre. Key Student Services colleagues including all school welfare support staff, plus contact details, are listed at:  This page also links to central health and wellbeing services.

    Services for students who have a disability, dyslexia and/or a long-term medical condition

    The University is strongly committed to equality of opportunity in its provision for all students. It is committed to providing ongoing support with the focus on providing accessible services and supporting students in completing their courses to their potential.

    information on the range of support and services available for students is available at Student Services.

    Disclosure and confidentiality

    It is your responsibility to ensure that the University is aware of your situation. You can alert the University to your requirements by:

    • direct contact with appropriate services such as Academic Support or Disability Support
    • indicating disability on the annual registration forms
    • direct contact with appropriate staff such as School's Disability Liaison Officer (DLO), or your personal tutor

    Early disclosure to the University is essential to ensure the timely provision of appropriate support services.

    The information you give will be processed and held in the University administration systems and used for the administration of your academic related support and any other legitimate University purpose. In doing so, the University will observe at all times the data protection principles embodied in the Data Protection Act 1998. Our Disclosure and Confidentiality Policy is available here.

    What services does the University provide?

    Academic Support (AS) and Disability Support (DS)

    Academic Support (comprising Dyslexia Support and Study Support) and the Disability Support Team are located in the Student Services Centres (SSC)  on University Park. We can assist with queries regarding:

    • admissions and registration
    • assessments in relation to disability and dyslexia and recommendations to academic staff about reasonable adjustments in the learning, teaching and assessment environments
    • for home students, assessment for and access to Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) which can provide equipment and support from trained non-medical helpers
    • recommendations for adjustments to arrangements for examination and assessment
    • timetabling arrangements
    • access to alternative formats such as Braille and large print
    • individual specialist support for students with dyslexia or other Specific Learning Difficulties
    • access to specialist technology in libraries
    • liaison with libraries for enhanced services such as extended loans
    • residential accommodation - adapted study bedrooms
    • accessible transport around and between our Nottingham campuses

    Academic Support also provides study support (academic writing skills, time management etc) to students.

    If you would like to contact us please phone the Student Services Centre on (0115) 9513710 or email

    To access these services, you must:

    • be a registered student at the University of Nottingham
    • provide documentary evidence of your condition or impairment, such as a letter from your GP or specialist

    If you have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, you must:

    • provide evidence in the form of a post-16 diagnostic assessment, in English, from an educational psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher.

    The University of Nottingham ACCESS Centre (UNAC), in the Student Services Centre, provides assessments for students who have applied for Disabled Students' Allowances. Disability Liaison Officers (DLO) The School appoints a Disability Liaison Officer, who provides a point of reference, advice and guidance for students in the School about student disability issues and support. The DLOs are part of a network that meets regularly to share information and good practice. DLOs liaise with both the Academic Support and the Disability Support Teams, as necessary, in relation to individual students and general policies and procedures. If you have any requirements or concerns talk in the first instance to your DLO, or contact your personal tutor.

    Disability Action

    The Students’ Union has a voluntary group, Disability Action, that works to make sure that all students who have a disability can access a fair provision of education and services. They provide information, support and advice to students, as well as organising social events. 
    Tel: 0115 846 8785
    Ext: 68785 (internal) 

    The University's Disability Support assists in the development of University policy and procedures relating to disability and their compliance with the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001.

    Emergency Evacuation of People with a Disability 
    The University of Nottingham is committed to promoting access for people who have a disability or long-term medical condition. This includes consideration of the requirements to enable effective evacuation of buildings in an emergency. General information concerning facilities and procedures to assist in the emergency evacuation of people with a disability will be made available. The emergency evacuation requirements for a person with a disability or long-term medical condition will be assessed following a request from that person and if appropriate a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan will be developed in conjunction with the individual. The arrangements for the emergency evacuation of people with a disability will form part of the emergency procedures in place for each building. Information describing the general emergency and evacuation arrangements for the building will be available at the main entrance to the building and at all entrances accessible to wheelchair users. 

    Personal Emergency Egress Plan 
    In addition to any general provisions that may have been made to facilitate emergency egress of persons who have a disability, it might be necessary to develop a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP). The purpose of this is to identify with the person concerned any additional arrangements that may reasonably be made to enable their effective evacuation in an emergency. This will reflect the unique characteristics of the buildings that they need to visit and their own requirements. A person with a disability must notify the University of their situation to initiate the preparation of a PEEP. Students are asked to notify Academic Support and their Hall Manager (if applicable) and the School's Safety Officer, Mari Hughes. 
    The Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan will take account of the following general features:

    • Ability to hear or see an evacuation alarm
    • Ability to follow evacuation routes
    • Ability to negotiate obstacles such as stairs
    • Availability of appropriate assistance during and outside normal working hours.

    For further information please contact the School's Safety Officer Mari Hughes (
    Back to top

    Academic Support in Student Services

    University-level study can be more demanding than some students expect. If a student is struggling with their studies they are advised in the first instance to consult their Personal Tutor. Students returning to academic work after some years away from university life, or anyone who feels that their study skills are not sufficient for the course they have embarked on, are welcome to contact Academic Support in Student Services (Cherry Tree Lodge, University Park), which gives specialised help and advice. 
    Back to top

    Financial Support

    Student Services are located on level B of the Portland Building and deal with student loans, the hardship funds, council tax, graduation, etc. For further information phone 0115 951 3710 or see the Student Services website.

    Back to top

    University Counselling Service

    The University Counselling Service is located in 'The Orchards' (situated behind Law & Social Sciences Building on University Park) (phone 0115 951 3695 or extension 13695) and provides a confidential service to all students and staff who are encountering difficulties of a personal nature. If a student finds that their personal difficulties are affecting their academic work, they should seek help as soon as possible. 
    Back to top

    International Office

    The International Office is based on Jubilee Campus and aims to help and support students from overseas as much as possible. The International Office has a very useful website with information about some of the support facilities that are available to international students. 
    Back to top

    Centre for English Language Education (CELE)

    The Centre for English Language Education offers pre-sessional and in-sessional programmes of support to international students who have met the University's English language entrance requirements. The in-sessional programme is available free to full-time, full (international) fee paying students on award-bearing courses at Nottingham, and all international students are urged to take advantage of the courses, especially those concerned with academic writing. Further details of courses and registration are available from the CELE website

    Back to top

    The Language Centre

    The Language Centre provides courses in free-standing inter-faculty modules of French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Spanish, all from beginners' level. The Self Access Centre also provides access to facilities for staff and students. 

    Back to top

    Students' Union

    The Students' Union can often help or advise on practical matters. The Student Advice Centre is located in the Portland Building, and offers information and advice on a range of financial and practical problems. 

    Back to top

    Careers and Employabilitiy Service

    Students are encouraged to begin thinking about careers early on during their studies. A good starting point is the Careers and Employability Service in Portland Building. Weekly drop-in sessions are held in the School by staff in the Careers Team from the Faculty of Arts, who will be on hand to give advice about CV writing, interviews and first or next steps in identifying possible career paths. Information about careers and related topics is also posted on the School of English noticeboards, and our Director of Employability Dr Kevin Harvey
    The Faculty of Arts organises the Futures Careers Festival in Week one each year for all students.

    Back to top


    The Chaplaincy team includes full-time chaplains from the Church of England, the Roman Catholic and Methodist Churches as well as for international students and other religious groups, to offer support and advice to members of the University community.

    Pastoral Care in the School

    Your Supervisor acts as your Personal Tutor, academic guide and main point of contact in the School.

    You also have an independent School Postgraduate Student Adviser (SPSA) to advise research students and to deal confidentially with any concern raised by research students about their research studies and supervision. This is the Director of Graduate Studies, Dr Nicola Royan.

    The School also has a Senior Tutor who is another member of staff available for research students to contact if they wish to discuss any aspect of their pastoral care whilst at University. The Senior Tutor is  Prof Jim Moran.

    Extenuating Circumstances

    Research Students must keep in regular contact with their Supervisor and submit written work on time, undertake assessments (if applicable) and attend regular research monitoring and annual progress reviews as required by the School.

    Students who cannot meet an agreed deadline (e.g. up to two missed consecutive supervision sessions, an upgrade meeting, an annual review meeting, submission date for their thesis etc.) through serious illness or other problems, should contact Student Services ( to obtain an Extenuating Circumstances form and submit it and evidence to their nearest Student Service Centre either in person or by email (

    The form and evidence will then be passed on to the School for action.

    You can find out more about the University's regulations regarding Extenuating Circumstances in the Quality Manual.

    Back to top

    External Partners

    Students may occasionally visit an international campus or external partner as part of their PhD.  In these instances it is important that the student and supervisor follow these School procedures and complete the appropriate Application Form (see below):

    • Students must agree all visits in advance with supervisor in the first instance
    • Supervisors must make the first contact with the host/international campus
    • Student must follow up any agreements in writing via email to confirm the arrangements and cc: the supervisor in to all emails confirming the arrangements
    • An application form must be completed by the student, and a supporting statement provided by the Supervisor, signed off by the Head of School
    • All paperwork must be retained by Jo Pullen once approved
    • Only once formal permission has been given should travel arrangements be booked and visa applications made
    • Travel bookings must come through the School Management and Research Office
    • Two risk assessments must be completed – one for the travel and the second for the research project.  If additional ethics paperwork and/or data management plan completed, then this must be done before travel and agreed with the Supervisor and Ethics Officer as appropriate.

    Application forms can be downloaded here: UNNC Visiting PhD: Other Visiting PhD 

    The International Research Collaboration Award (IRCA) 

    The International Research Collaboration Award (IRCA) funding is available through the Graduate School and supports the creation of novel research collaborations through researcher mobility. This award offers you an opportunity to broaden your international experience as a researcher through a research visit, of up to two months duration. The collaboration could be with an organisation based anywhere in the world.

    Through the support of this award you will deepen your understanding of research in an international arena, establish a network of contacts, and gain the skills and attitudes required to make a success of your career as a global researcher. 

    An IRCA can be for any amount up to £3,000.

    • No labels