Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

    Graduate School

    The Graduate School offers social and study space for the postgraduate community in the University of Nottingham. The Graduate School also administers travel prizes, library bursaries etc. and aims to support the postgraduate research community.

    Students MUST get the Head of School’s agreement before applying for these schemes. Where matched funding is required, this does not necessarily need funding from the School as many research students are successful in obtaining external funding or are self-funding and may still apply to these schemes. However, if you wish to apply for match funding, please contact  Rebecca Peck about applying to the School's Research Committee.

    Postgraduate Student Conference Opportunities and Calls for Papers are also advertised through the Graduate School

    Further information about the Graduate School is available on the Graduate School Website. The Graduate School is located in Highfield House, University Park Campus.

    Back to top

    Social Sciences and Arts Graduate Centre

    The Graduate Centre for postgraduate students in the Social Sciences and Arts is located on the first floor of Highfield House. Accessible 24/7 by card access, this space provides computer stations, a social area with informal seating and areas where students can work individually or in groups.  Students also have access to a small seminar room and kitchen facilities.

    The Social Sciences & Arts Graduate Centre (SSAGC) is a;

    • Provider of postgraduate social and learning space,
    • Hub for faculty-specific training and careers programme,
    • Focus for inter and cross-disciplinary student collaboration

    You can send any questions, suggestions or feedback for the SSAGC to


    PGR Offices in the Trent Building

    The PhD offices are located on the lower ground floor of the Trent building (rooms LG31-43).  Access through the main entrance is from the outside of the building with University Card access only.  Entry in to offices LG40 and LG42 is by key-pad or key. Relevant codes or keys will be given to you after you have registered. All other offices are accessed by keys, available from Harriet Lander in A107, Trent.

    The space provides:

    • A space for socialising and relaxation with comfy sofas
    • A kitchen area with fridge and microwave
    • Quiet PhD offices with allocated desks and desktop pcs
    • Hot desking facilities for those without allocated desks
    • Student pigeon holes
    • Lockers

    The Hallward Library also has some carrels which are allocated to Postgraduates on a short-term basis. If you wish to apply for a carrel, visit the Nottingham UNLOC page, and then click on the 'laptops/tablets/rooms' option along the top.

    There is also study space in the Social Sciences and Arts Graduate Centre.

    The School has agreed the following allocated desk policy with the PGR LCF:


    The current desk usage policy is as follows: 

    •             Desks are allocated according to a commitment to regularly using the desk at least 2 days per week (FT) or 1 day per week (PT) (except during research visits, conferences etc.)

    •             On submission of thesis (all students): Desk should be cleared within 2 weeks. Students may continue to work in hot-desking room

    •             If amendments taking longer than three months are required post-viva, student may request to be reallocated a desk. (subject to availability)


    If you are currently using one of the hot-desking rooms or other spaces on campus regularly (at least 2 days per week (FT) or 1 day per week (PT)) then you can be considered for an allocated desk if any are available. If more people request desks than are available then priority will be given to students further along their studies.  The School office will keep a waiting list of anyone requesting an allocated desk


    There are lockers available in the PGR office space and students are welcome to use a locker if they wish. Locker keys are available from Louise Mason.


    The School has a small number of laptops that research students may borrow for short research trips (maximum two weeks). The laptops have basic word processing and spreadsheet functionality and can be used for web access. Students should contact Louise Mason for further information.

    Sports Facilities

    Extensive sports facilities exist at the University of Nottingham and opportunities to take part in sport at all levels of ability are provided by the Department of Physical Recreation. The University has a swimming pool, sports hall, running tracks, squash courts, fitness centre and gym etc. Additional information, leaflets and a comprehensive handbook are all available at the sports centre reception desk, please see:

    Back to top

    Student Services 


    Student Services Centres for details of your nearest Student Services Centre please go to:

    Careers and Employability Service

    For help and advice with all aspects of job hunting, writing CVs, interviews, etc, visit them at Portland Building.

    Students' Union

    For all Students' Union offices and facilities, visit the Portland Building.

    Back to top



    Events and Meetings

    Students who require room bookings should contact the Student Union, unless they are organising the event on behalf of a research centre or academic member of staff in the School. A risk assessment document must also be completed for all events organised by the School.

    Risk Assessment and Prevent Duty - Events, Conference, Visiting Speakers/Teachers

    The University has a policy that all events must be risk assessed, including a new policy relating to the Prevent Duty which came into force for universities in September 2015 as part of the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015.  The Prevent Duty places legal requirements on the University to minimise the risk of individuals being drawn into terrorism and to ensure vulnerable individuals receive timely and appropriate support. The University therefore needs to be able to demonstrate that we have appropriate processes and policies in place to comply with the Duty.

    Full details are here

    In order to comply with the risk assessment and prevent duty, all School events, conference, invitations to visiting speakers must be risk assessed using the School's Risk Assessment and Prevent Duty document.

    This Risk Assessment and Prevent Duty document must be submitted to the team in the School Management and Research Office before an event takes place.

    Module Convenors who will to request funding from the School to fund invite an external speaker/teacher must use the School's form to Request Permission from Teaching Committee for External Teachers.


    IT Resources

    In addition to the shared offices, the University has a large number of computer workstation rooms across campus.

    Username and Password

    Your University username (format: aez???) and password will give you access to most services within the University network. 

    You will get a reminder to change your password every 180 days.  You can manage your password at

    Passwords must not be stored/remembered on any device or written down anywhere and/or stored on the device. Help setting up a secure password can be found at

    Back to top

    Library Resources

    Information on the libraries on campus can be found on the Information Services website along with the on-line library catalogue.

    We also have a team dedicated to the Faculty of Arts library resources, and so if you do have any specific enquiries you can contact them at

    Photocopying and Printing Support

    The University has networked printing and photocopying facilities across campuses.  

    You will receive instructions on how to set up access to the new printers as a new student, but if you have any queries about accessing the printer, please contact Louise Mason.

    The Quality Manual recommends that a research student should be entitled to  £100 per year to assist with photocopying and the cost of draft printing  required for reports. The School will monitor printing and photocopying on a monthly basis and contact  supervisors if students are approaching their maximum yearly allowance. Students who feel they need a higher allowance should inform their supervisors.


    Research students have access to a telephone which permits internal telephone calls. Research students who wish to use an external telephone should ask for assistance from Louise Mason. 

    Most University telephone numbers have a pre-fix of 95- or 84- followed by a 5 digit number. For example, 9515900 is the main School number. This is the number you call from outside the University. The internal telephone number is 15900.

    You can look up telephone numbers on the University website.

    • No labels