Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

1. Safety Contacts

Head of SchoolProfessor Svenja AdolphsA63, Trent Building

School Health and Safety Co-ordinator:

Mari Hughes

A107, Trent Building

Ext 15920

0115 9515920 (external)

School Health and Safety Assistant:

Emily Dawkes

A107, Trent Building

Ext 84730

0115 7484730 (external)

Display Screen Equipment (DSE) Assessor

Emily Dawkes

A107, Trent Building

Ext 84730

0115 7484730 (external)

Sources of Help and Support:

School Management and Research Office 

Ext 15900

A107, Trent Building
0115 9515900 (external)

University Emergency Telephone Number:

Ext 8888

0115 9518888 (external)

Trent Security Office:

Ext 13013

A16, Trent Building
0115 9513013 (external) 

Occupational Health: 

Ext 14329

0115 9514329 (external)
Occupational Health Website

University Safety Office:

Ext 13401

0115 9513401 (external)

2. Responsibility

All members of staff and students are responsible for their own safety and the safety of others.

Academic and supervisory staff shall conduct those activities over which they have control in a safe manner and in accordance with University and School policies and procedures.
They will co-operate with the Head of School so that responsibilities at that level can be discharged.

Assessment of work-related risks is a key part of managing the School’s safety. Unsafe working practices must not be condoned.
Information about Risk Assessments is available below.
Any deficiencies, defects, faults, etc must be brought to the attention of the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator.

3. Dissemination of Information and Training

The School's Safety Policy is available on the School intranet Workspace (for staff and students) and a link to this Safety Policy is available from the UG and PGT community pages on Moodle.

A hard copy of the School's Safety Policy is also displayed on the Health and Safety noticeboard in the School of English in hard copy (Staff Room, A75.) 
Information about how to access the information is given to new staff during staff inductions.

  • Induction training is held for all new members of staff, and the health and safety induction is organised by the School's Health and Safety Assistant. 
    The School's Health and Safety Assistant also holds all health and safety induction training for all new Teaching Affiliates and new PhD students in the School.
    Information about PhD induction training, including health and safety training is available on Workspace.
  • Training for the safe use of the School psycholinguistics laboratory is undertaken by Dr Dominic Thompson and the Laboratory Manager
  • Training for staff on the safe use of the Performing Arts Studio is undertaken by Dr Sarah GrandageAntony Reed from Information Services (scaffolding, staging, lighting and sound) and a representative from the University's Health and Safety Office (manual handling) 

4. Safety Committees/School Staff Meetings/Student Learning Community Forum

Health and safety is an item on the agenda of the School Management Committee meeting each semester.
This is an important opportunity for the policies and procedures of the School to be discussed and reviewed.

Staff may also request discussion of health and safety issues at any of the School meetings held monthly during the University term time. 
Students may request discussion of health and safety issues at their Student Learning Community Forum

If any member of staff or student has any concerns about the management of health and safety in the School of English, please contact the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator, so that this can be brought to the attention of the School's Management Committee.

5. School Safety Inspections

To ensure that the School’s policies and procedures are being correctly implemented, inspections will be carried out regularly by the School Management and Research Office admin team.

The frequency of monitoring will depend on the issues involved to some extent.
Issues arising from inspections will be reported to the meeting of the School Management Committee and appropriate remedial action instigated.

Any member of the School should report any defects, faults and other safety hazards to the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator as soon as possible.

6. Accident and Incident Reporting

All injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences must be reported in line with the university procedures laid out in the University Safety Handbook and in Safety Office Circular P1/95A.

The University has an on-line system for reporting accidents and incidents.

7. Reporting of Hazards

A hazard is any potential or actual situation that constitutes danger to the health and safety of any user of the School’s premises or its buildings and equipment.

Any member of the School who identifies any defects, faults or other safety hazards is responsible for taking action if it is within their competence to do so, otherwise hazards should be reported to the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator.

8. Risk Assessment (including Travel Risk Assessment)

Risk assessments of activities within the School, on field trip/courses and on work related placements/volunteering activities are carried out in line with the Management of Health and Safety Regulations Act 1992. The purpose of the risk assessments are to assist in identifying those measures which are needed to remove or otherwise control the risks and to mitigate any consequences. The provision of information, instruction and training, along with the degree of supervision, also constitute control measures. It is also necessary to consider whether there are any specific groups of individuals who could be at particular risk under some circumstances e.g. disabilities affecting their ability to evacuate the building in an emergency, adverse effects on pregnancy or other medical conditions. The University Safety Office website has more information about risk assessments.

The purpose of a risk assessment is to understand how things are ‘actually’ being or intended to be done.  The Safety Office have provided the following 7 steps to help with writing risk assessments: 

  1. Identify the activity

  2. Identify the hazards associated with it

  3. Who might be harmed?

  4. Estimate the extent of the risk arising from those hazards

  5. Determine what actions, if any are needed to reduce the risks to an acceptable level

  6. Record your findings on a risk assessment document and make sure that a copy is filed with the School Safety Officer

  7. Review your assessments after the activity has taken place

    The following should be taken into account when completing a risk assessment:

  • Competence and previous experience of the individual or group

  • Size of group

  • Participants special needs

  • Introduction of new activities or methods

  • Changes to or the location of the event (eg traffic and road safety issues associated with an outdoor field trip/course)

  • Any external factors for either the group or the location that might affect planning (e.g. if other events are taking place at trip location e.g. planned political demonstrations on the day, or if the trip takes place early in the morning after planned social events etc.)

    Risk assessment is all about reducing to an acceptable level the likelihood of people getting hurt whilst on a field trip/course.

    Risks can be high, medium or low, based on the following four factors:

  • How likely a problem is to occur

  • How serious any damage/injury is likely to be

  • Who is likely to be affected

  • How many people are likely to be affected

For further information or guidance on completing a risk assessment, please contact the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator.

Travel Risk Assessment

It is the responsibility of the individual (identified as the 'Trip Organiser' in this policy) to undertake a  School of English Travel Risk Assessment Form when travelling on University business to countries/regions including those that are not known to present a risk to travellers (e.g. EU, North America etc.) If you are the 'trip organiser' and are travelling with students you will need to complete a risk assessment and forms for all students attending the trip, available in the School's policy and risk assessment document for fieldwork and trips.

This also includes visits where the work does not involve hazardous materials/operations and where there are no high risk leisure activities.

These guidance notes are not appropriate for activities/trips to remote/high risk destinations where a full risk assessment must be undertaken and may need to be submitted to the Safety Office for review by the University’s Expedition Peer Review Panel (EPRP.)

  • The Trip Organiser (normally a PGR student or member of staff) should undertake a risk assessment before the trip takes place
  • They should ensure that all safety precautions and control measures identified as required by the risk assessment are implemented and observed for the duration of the trip
  • Members of staff must follow the correct University travel policy procedures as detailed in the School Travel Policy to ensure all liability risks are minimised and travellers are covered by University insurance
  • As part of the risk assessment, members of staff must check that it is safe to travel by going to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) website:

Service offered by the FCO. Entitled “Locate” it is a registration system for travellers abroad and it ensures that the local Embassy or High Commission is aware of British Nationals travelling in a particular country. It is intended to enable the FCO to provide better support in the unlikely event of a crisis within a given country or region. It also provides email alerts in the event of any developments which may affect the safety or security of British nationals in that area.

If anyone is interested in using the service, they can find details at FCO Website

Nationals of countries other than the UK may find that their country’s equivalent of the FCO offers a similar service.

Risk Assessment and Prevent Duty - Events, Conference, Visiting Speakers/Teachers

The University has a policy that all events must be risk assessed, including a new policy relating to the Prevent Duty which came into force for universities in September 2015 as part of the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015.  The Prevent Duty places legal requirements on the University to minimise the risk of individuals being drawn into terrorism and to ensure vulnerable individuals receive timely and appropriate support. The University therefore needs to be able to demonstrate that we have appropriate processes and policies in place to comply with the Duty.

Full details are here

In order to comply with the risk assessment and prevent duty, all School events, conference, invitations to visiting speakers must be risk assessed using the School's Risk Assessment and Prevent Duty document.

This Risk Assessment and Prevent Duty document must be submitted to the team in the School Management and Research Office before an event takes place.

Module Convenors who will to request funding from the School to fund invite an external speaker/teacher must use the School's form to Request Permission from Teaching Committee for External Teachers.


9. First Aid

School First Aiders:Sarah NolanA107, Trent
School Mental Health First Aiders:

Sarah Nolan
Rachel Redford

A107, Trent
A107, Trent

Location of First Aid Boxes:  

School Kitchen
School Corridor
PhD Offices
Student Common Room

A47, A77, A107 Trent Building
Corridor between A56 and A57, Trent Building
LG floor, Trent Building
A90, Trent Building

First Aid assistance can be summoned by calling for a First Aider if available or dialling the University emergency telephone number (8888).    
Both First Aid boxes are portable and can be borrowed from the School to field trips/courses, special events etc  
Please contact the School Safety Assistant in A107, Trent Building, to borrow a First Aid box from the School
First Aid supplies are maintained by the First Aiders and any use of first aid supplies should be reported to the First Aiders.
In cases of serious injury an ambulance should be requested by calling the emergency telephone number 8888.

The University of Nottingham Safety Office producers a list of Current First Aiders across the UK campuses, this can be found here: Current First Aiders

All accidents should be reported to the University via the on-line system for incident and accident reporting

10. Fire Procedure

The School has a fire procedure to ensure the safe evacuation of staff and students from the Trent Building.

Fire Marshalls are members of the administrative team on A floor of the Trent Building.
Staff should attend fire safety training every three years.

All members of the School must ensure they familiarise themselves with the positions of the nearest fire alarm call point, internal and external telephones, fire extinguishers and exit routes. 
Information about the School's fire procedure is covered by the School Manager during induction sessions for new staff.  Staff teaching in buildings that are unfamiliar to them MUST ensure that they are aware of the fire evacuation procedures in these buildings and the fire assembly points, see building access information provided by the Estates Office.

On discovering a fire:

  • Activate the Fire Alarm by operating the nearest break glass call point.
  • Dial 8888 via the nearest internal telephone and state location of the fire.
  • Use appropriate fire extinguishers (e.g. CO2 extinguishers for electrical fires) only if safe to do so and your escape route is clear (i.e. make sure that the door/escape route is behind you when activating a fire extinguisher.)
  • Evacuate the building ensuring that doors are closed to prevent the spread of fire.

On hearing the fire alarm:

  • Note:  the fire alarm sound is a continuous siren
  • Immediately evacuate building by the nearest available exit, closing doors and windows.
  • Do not use lifts or stop to collect personal belongings.
  • Report to the assembly point which is the car park on the East (Portland Building) side of the Trent Building.
  • Do not re-enter the building until instructed that it is safe to do so.
  • Please note that the fire alarm system is tested each Monday at 9.00 am by the Estates Office.
  • A fire drill to test the School’s procedures will be held at least annually by the Estates Office.

Staff , students and visitors with a Disability
The University has guidance for the fire evacuation of staff, students and visitors who have a disability
This includes information about Personal Emergency Egress Plans (PEEPs) that are undertaken for staff and students who require a plan to be put in place (see section 11 below.) 

Deaf Alerter
The Estates Office have equipment (a radio based paging system) which can provide Fire Alarm warnings for University staff, students and visitors who have a hearing impairment.  Buildings equipped with Deaf Alerter Paging Transmitters will have the Deaf Alerter symbol displayed at their main entrance.  Equipment can be borrowed from the Security Control team at the Trent Building.

For wheelchair users:

  • Lifts must not be used in the event of a fire unless specifically designated for this purpose

  • If the alarm sounds everyone should leave the building using the nearest suitable exit to the outside.

  • If people are on a floor from which they cannot exit without using a lift they should make their way to the nearest refuge.  Refuges that are accessible to staff, students and visitors in the School of English on C floor of Trent Building are signed posted and have a red emergency telephone (with direct line to the Security Office.)  They are located in the main stairwells and as follows:
    Refuge 60 - Outside C1 (photocopying room)
    Refuge 61 - Outside C12 (staff office)
    Refuge 62 - Outside C54b (near Language Centre, outside toilets.)  There is also an evacuation chair at this location

    A refuge is a temporary safe space for people to await assistance for  evacuation. It comprises a fire resisting enclosure that is served directly by a safe route to a storey exit, evacuation lift or final exit. The locations of refuges are shown on the building access plans located inside the main entrance of all buildings and also accessible on the building access plans of the Estates Office website.

    Once in the refuge Security Control should be contacted using the telephone in the refuge where provided or a mobile phone (telephone 0115 951 8888) to indicate someone's presence in a refuge. Security will ask for a name, location of the refuge, mobile telephone number so that they can keep in contact and provide information about the alarm and evacuation.
    A member of the response team should be in contact within a few minutes.  If it is necessary to evacuate and there is not a suitable lift a transfer to an Evac Chair may be required.  This is a specially designed chair for descending staircases. If anyone has any reservations about the use or suitability of an Evac Chair they should make this known so that their requirements can be reviewed and alternative arrangements made.

Fire Evacuation token system

In order that information is available for the Emergency Services on whether there are any persons remaining in the building immediately after an emergency evacuation, a fire token system is in place. How the token system works:

  • The Trent Building is divided into sections identified by strategically placed fire tokens.
    In an emergency where evacuation is taking place, each token should be taken by the first member of staff passing it, they should check (with the assistance of others if appropriate) that the rooms within the section identified on the token have been cleared and evacuate the building reporting to the co-ordinator at the assembly point.
  • As the Trent Building is occupied by several Schools, there is a co-ordinated system for the building as a whole and so the co-ordinator may not necessarily be a member of the School.
    The co-ordinator will be identifiable by a high visibility waistcoat.
  • As the co-ordinator receives information from those who have picked up a token, he/she will be able to inform the Emergency Services of which sections of the building have not been cleared. Fire Tokens are located in the following areas within the School:
    A Floor:
    West side of the corridor:
    Zone 1 - At the top of the corridor covering rooms A55 - A64 
    Zone 2 - Outside Seminar Room A46 covering rooms A46 - A54
    Zone 3 - Outside the Psycholinguistics Laboratory (A44) covering rooms A39 - A44
    Zone 4 - Inside the double-doors covering rooms A31 - A38
    East side of the corridor:
    Zone 5 - Inside the double-doors covering rooms A68 - A71 + Toilets 
    Zone 6 - Outside A77 covering rooms A72, A73, A90-A95 and covering rooms A75, A77-A85
    Zone 7 - Outside A100 covering rooms A97-A103 and A107
    C Floor:
    Outside C4 covering rooms C3-C6 and C21-C28 
    Outside C7
    covering rooms C7-C9 and C12-C20
    Outside C43 covering rooms C43-C50
    Outside C2a covering rooms C1-C2a + C2b
    LG Floor:
    Inside the porch to the PhD offices covering LG31-43

The same system of safety procedures operate across all campuses of the University. Staff should familiarise themselves with the nearest fire exits wherever they teach, in order to lead their students to safety quickly and easily in the event of a fire. They should also be aware of the position of fire tokens and fire extinguishers.

Fire Extinguishers

The University's Fire Officer has responsibility for siting/testing and replacing appropriate fire extinguishers. 
If you have any concerns about fire extinguishers please contact the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator.

Reporting Fires

A fire report form must be completed immediately in respect of all outbreaks of fire occurring within University premises. This is to ensure that basic information on the fire is available to the University and that an appropriate level of investigation can be carried out with a view to preventing further similar incidents.


11. Emergency Evacuation of People with a Disability

The University of Nottingham is committed to promoting access for people who have a disability or long-term medical condition. This includes consideration of the requirements to enable effective evacuation of buildings in an emergency.

General information concerning facilities and procedures to assist in the emergency evacuation of people with a disability are available on the Safety Office website.  This includes evacuation information for wheelchair users. The emergency evacuation requirements for a person with a disability or long-term medical condition will be assessed following a request from that person and if appropriate a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan will be developed in conjunction with the individual. The arrangements for the emergency evacuation of people with a disability will form part of the emergency procedure in place for each building. Information describing the general emergency and evacuation arrangements for the building will be available at the main entrance to the building and at all entrances accessible to wheelchair users. Building access plans are available on the Estates Office web-pages. 

Personal Emergency Egress Plan

In addition to any general provisions that may have been made to facilitate emergency egress of persons who have a disability, it might be necessary to develop a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP). The purpose of this is to identify with the person concerned any additional arrangements that may reasonably be made to enable their effective evacuation in an emergency. This will reflect the unique characteristics of the buildings that they need to visit and their own requirements. A person with a disability must notify the University of their situation to initiate the preparation of a PEEP.
A PEEP will be completed by the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator for a member of staff in the School and by the University's Safety Office for students (following a referral by the School's Disability Officer - DLO).

The Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan will take account of the following:

  • Ability to hear or see an evacuation alarm
  • Ability to follow evacuation routes
  • Ability to negotiate obstacles such as stairs
  • Availability of appropriate assistance during and outside normal working hours

12. Out of hours working and Lone Working

The safety of any person can be affected by fire, unauthorised intruders and accidents. To minimise the dangers of such events and to assist the work of the University security staff, restrictions are placed on the use of all buildings outside normal working hours. The normal working hours are defined as being between 7.30 am and 6.00 pm.
Access to the building outside the above times is not permitted for undergraduate and Masters students.

Staff and postgraduate research students may use the buildings out of hours, but are discouraged from doing so.  Wherever possible, lone working should be avoided.  If staff and students need to access the building out of hours they must do the following:

  • observe the University's lone working policy
  • if there is a requirement for lone working, a suitable risk assessment must be carried out to identify the risks to the lone worker and safe working arrangements must be identified and introduced to minimise the risks as far as is reasonably practicable.  Research students must undertake this risk assessment with their Supervisor
  • sign-in at the Trent Security Office (A Floor) leaving their name, time of arrival and departure and location in the building
  • ensure that their office door is locked
  • ensure that they carry a mobile phone at all times with Security's phone number listed as a named contact in case they need to speak to a member of security staff
    0115 9513013 - Security Office
    0115 9518888 - in case of an emergency
  • let work colleagues and, if appropriate friends/family, know when to expect them back from their period of lone working, ensuring that they make regular contact at all times. 
  • In the case of any incident that causes the member of staff/student concern they should leave immediately, passing on any concerns as appropriate, and using the on-line accident/incident reporting form to record any actual or near miss incidents to the School's Health and Safety Co-ordinator. 
  • Students and staff who have concerns about lone working should raise this with their line manager/supervisor immediately beforehand undertaking any period of lone working.

Special arrangements apply to conferences and authorised evening meetings and lectures. The organisers of such events must take the responsibility for ensuring the safety of their guests.

The evacuation of the building following a fire alarm out of normal working hours is supported by campus security as available. Members of the School should attempt to ensure the evacuation of the section of the building in the line of their immediate escape route but no attempt should be made to clear the whole building. The register kept by the Trent Security Office will form the reference for any building clearance to be attempted by Security.
Re-securing of the building after the incident is the responsibility of Security.

13. Electrical Safety

The School will comply with the University Code of Practice for Electrical Safety. All items of portable electrical equipment shall be inspected/tested in accordance with the guidance in the above document. Inspection and testing is carried out by outside contractors and usually takes place in July/August each year. An inventory of equipment is maintained by the admin team in the School Management and Research Office.   Any new items of electrical equipment including those which are brought from home must be added to the inventory and inspected/tested. Members of the School must report any problems arising with electrical equipment to the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator.

School electrical safety checks establish only that a piece of equipment passed the mandatory tests at the time they were undertaken. If subsequently, as a user, you have reason to believe the equipment is unsafe you are obliged to report this fact and cease using the equipment. No electrical or electronic equipment should be tampered with in any way. Fuse changes or other minor repairs should be undertaken only by properly trained technical staff. Any electrical or electronic equipment used out of doors must be fitted with a special plug incorporating an earth leakage circuit breaker.


  • Loose plug assembly or cable grip
  • Damaged mains supply lead
  • Exposed internal parts
  • Unusually noisy or cover loose
  • Damaged casing
  • Hot in operation

Unused items of portable electrical equipment that have been put into long term storage must be clearly labelled as follows: "Do Not Use - Inspection/Test Required".

14. Fieldwork/Placements

Fieldwork is defined as any practical work carried out by staff or students of the University for the purpose of teaching or research in places which are not under the direct supervisory control of the University, but where the University is responsible for the safety of its staff and students or others exposed to their activities. This includes traditional field study trips and expeditions as well as visits by researchers into homes, organisations, or in the street.

The organiser or leader of the fieldwork activity is responsible for carrying out a risk assessment and putting together safe systems of work. Issues such as equipment, training, lone working, health matters, first aid, transport, and insurance must be considered. Individuals taking part in the fieldwork activity must be provided with adequate information and instruction in order for them to be able to participate in the activity as safely as is reasonably practical.

School of English Statement of Safety for Student Field Trips/Courses

Fieldwork and Trips - Form for Students to complete for the Trip Organiser

15. Display Screen Equipment (DSE) Safety, Eye Tests and Glasses

The School implements the University policy concerning Display Screen Equipment (DSE). The Users (University employees who habitually use DSE as a significant part of their normal work) within the School are identified and assessments of their workstations are carried out. Records of this information are maintained by the School Safety Assistant who will conduct these every two years, or earlier if a member of staff's workstation changes in the meantime.  All queries regarding DSE safety should be directed to the School Safety Assistant in the first instance.

All Users will be required to complete an on-line DSE questionnaire and receive training in the safe use of DSE in order that they are aware of the hazards and precautions. When completing the form please put Harriet Lander as the DSE Assessor to ensure that a copy of the completed questionnaire is emailed to the correct person in the School.  Alternatively a pdf of the DSE questionnaire is also available.

The Safety Office website has DSE training opportunities.

Eye Tests and Glasses

If you are an employee of the University of Nottingham who habitually uses a computer for a significant proportion of your work, you are entitled to a free eye test through the University.

Further information from this University website.

Please note that vouchers for eye tests and glasses are only valid from the point of request for three months, so DSE Users (staff only) should only order a voucher when they are ready to have their eye test.

Staff who are concerned about any safety implications about the introduction of on-line assessment must contact the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator for a referral to the University's Occupational Health Department.

16. Manual Handling

The School seeks to minimise the risk of injury from manual handling operations. Members of the School who are regularly involved in such operations shall receive training in lifting and handling.  Further information about training in manual handling is available from Professional Development's safety training programme

The School will organise staff training on an annual basis for staff involved in manual handling in the Performing Arts Studios.
Where practicable, mechanical aids will be provided to minimise the risk of injury. Please report any manual handling issues to the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator.

The movement of equipment or furniture constitutes a possible lifting hazard. It is essential to learn the correct method: 
- do not try to lift too much
- get help if necessary 
- make sure you can see where you are going

For the movement of large or heavy items please contact a member of the admin team who can organise porterage on behalf of the School.

17. The Work at Height Regulations

The School will comply with the guidelines set out in Safety Office Circulars concerning minimum safety and health requirements for the use of equipment for work at height.

Staff who have shelving in staff offices that they cannot reach from a standing position at floor level are asked to contact the School Management and Research Office to ensure that step ladders, with appropriate handrails, are provided.

18. Smoking

Smoking is not permitted in any of the main University buildings.

Smoking is permitted outdoors in open areas away from entrances, windows and other openings into University buildings. 

To avoid the accumulation of unsightly smoking litter, facilities such as small bins at suitable locations away from building openings will be provided.

Where small bins for extinguishing cigarettes are provided on the approach to building entrances these are only to enable safe and responsible extinguishing of cigarettes before entering the building and do not indicate that smoking is permitted at that location.

19. New and Expectant Mothers

The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations include the duty upon employers to protect the health, safety and welfare at work of any new and expectant mothers in their employment.

The School Health and Safety Co-ordinator will conduct a risk assessment for all new and expectant mothers that complies with the University’s guidance.

20. Children and Young Persons on University Premises and Adult Companions Assisting in University Work

The School will comply with the guidelines set out in Safety Office Circulars concerning children and young persons on University premises.

21. Work in High Risk Countries

The School follows the University Guidelines for evaluating the risks to personal safety and the inoculation requirements for University-related work/trips in high risk countries, in accordance with Safety Office Circular P4/97A. Individuals are not expected to visit areas where there could be significant concerns for their health or safety.

Where risks are identified the trip/work will be discussed with the Head of School for justification and an appropriate travel risk assessment agreed with the member of staff or student.

22. Code of Practice for the Safe Use of Minibuses

Those who use minibuses for official University activities must ensure that their usage conforms to the University's procedures for use of minibuses.

23.Work Experience Placements

This policy and guidance document looks at the health and safety of children and young persons participating in work experience placements at the University.

In particular it highlights the formal mechanism involving local education authorities and business partnerships for the under 16s through their school and the adoption of an equivalent arrangement for 16 and 17 year olds. The guidance takes account of duties under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations and the supporting HSE guidance for protecting young people.

All work experience placements in the School of English must be organised with the School's Health and Safety Co-ordinator.

24. Team Building Activities/Away Days or Similar Events

The University requires school to consider health and safety planning and risk assessment for team building activities and away days etc.

The guidance highlights the responsibilities of schools/departments to ensure the health and safety of staff on events, even when run by external companies.
A risk assessment must be undertaken in these circumstances.

25. COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health)

Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) require the health risks for work with potentially hazardous substances to be assessed to enable the right controls to be put into place before any work with these substances commences. Health risks associated with hazardous substances typically occur as a result of inhalation, ingestion, inoculation / injection or skin absorption. Hazardous substances are classified as very toxic, toxic, harmful, corrosive or irritant and there is a requirement for manufacturers / importers to clearly mark these classifications on any relevant substance’s packaging. At present there are no substances identified within the School of English with such a classification, however, it is vitally important that before any new materials, substances or processes are introduced into the school that an assessment is carried out by the School Health and Safety Co-ordinator to ensure no uncontrolled hazardous substances are inadvertently introduced.

26. Health and Wellbeing

A positive learning environment - the University has a range of services to support student health and welfare.  Students can seek advice about any issue affecting their study and University experience.  In addition to the Personal Tutoring system, peer mentoring, PhD supervisors and welfare teams located in Student Services, the University offer a number of specialist services

A positive workplace - the University recognises that wellbeing at work is really important in ensuring that all staff reach their full potential.

To help staff stay healthy and happy at work, the University offers a wide range of benefits and facilities.

The University offers a dedicated wellbeing microsite within The Employee Hub, through which staff can also access the Employee Assistance Programme - a 24/7 free and confidential advice service, 365 days of the year.  This is a professional service manned by qualified professionals who staff can talk to in private about anything, work or personal.

For staff who wish to receive additional support and guidance from the University's Occupational Health team, please contact Mari Hughes, as staff can no longer self refer.

Back to top

  • No labels