This refers to Moodle 3.11 from August 2022 onwards
Having a picture associated with your profile gives you an immediate identity and oils the wheels of interaction. The picture appears against your posts in forums and some other activities. If you interact online with a lecturer or student you didn’t know before, you have a chance of recognising them in the corridor, coffee room or lecture hall.
To add a profile picture to Moodle:
- Log into Moodle
- Click on your name (Top right) to drop down your personal menu
- Click 'Profile' and then Edit Profile to edit your personal profile
- Scroll down to the section User picture and click on User picture to open it
- You will need to keep the browser open while opening a second window containing a folder on your computer that contains the picture you want to use.
- Click and hold on the picture file and drag it into the Files box on the profile page. (Requires IE10 or higher and similarly up-to-date versions of Safari, Chrome, Edge or Firefox. For earlier browsers click the 'Choose a File' icon. Select Upload a file and browse your files to find the photo. Once you have found it, open it. Once happy select 'Upload this file')
- The picture appears in the window
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'Update profile'
NOTE: An approximately square-shaped picture is best, with a close-up of your face (not, e.g., a distant picture of yourself on a mountain or a picture of your cat) See our Help on getting images ready How to get images ready for Moodle