Moodle Help & Support
How to: Use recordings from Television and Radio in Moodle
The University has a licence to you use Box of Broadcasts (Bob), which is a shared online off-air TV and radio recording service for UK higher education intuitions. This service is only available for UK modules due to licensing agreements. More information about Bob can be found here: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/teaching/tools/videoandaudio/bob.aspx
- Go to https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand and then click ‘SIgn in’.
- A new page will load asking which organisation to login from. Drop down the menu and select University of Nottingham and click Select.
- Another page will load asking you to sign in. Enter your UoN username and password and then press ‘Login’.
If this is the first time you have logged into Bob then you will be asked to accept the terms and conditions and setup your acount before progressing further.
4. Once you have logged in you will be able to click on the ‘Search’ tab at the top and enter a programme name or some relevant keywords and press the blue "Search’ icon.
5. Your search results should appear on another page. There are some filter options on the left-hand side if you have a lot of results generated. When you have found the video or audio you want to use then press the title of the programme.
6. A page should now load which will play the audio/video selected. If you wanted to embed the entire programme onto your Moodle site then press the ‘Embed’ button.
7. A pop up will appear, check the ‘Embed as code’ option towards the bottom. Next, copy the embed code and then press the ‘Close’ button.
8. Next, go to your Moodle site and on the home page ‘Turn editing on’ and then locate where you would like to embed the video. Next, click ‘Add an activity or resource’ and from the pop up options check the ‘Label’ option. Then press the ‘Add’ button.
9. A new page will load with options for the label. Click the top left button to reveal more options. Once the second row appears click on the <> button.
10. Next, paste in the embed code and then press ‘Save and return to module’.
11. You will be taken back to your Moodle home page and should see the embedded video ready to play.
If you do not want to use the whole programme then you can create clips. To do this, go back the Bob webpage, specifically the page where your selected video is available.
Click on the ‘Create clip’ button.
This will expand the page. On the timeline of the programme you should see two triangles facing each other in between a blue rectangle. The blue rectangle represents the duration of the select clip. The duration can be seen in the green box.
To adjust what you wish to capture in your clip click on one of the triangles and move it left or right. Do the same with the other one until you have the section you wish to capture. As you move the triangles you will see the timings change in the green box.You can also preview what you have captured by pressing the play button on the video.
When you are happy with the section you wish to use click on the ‘Save clip’ button.
A new page will load which will contain just the timings you set ready to play.
Use the guidance above on how to embed the captured footage into your Moodle site.
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk