This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of every page.
Moodle Help & Support
Turnitin file types and word processor compatibility
To submit a paper to Turnitin, your paper must meet their requirements.
Note: The paper being submitted must contain more than 20 words, must be under 100MB, must not exceed 800 pages in length (.xls/.xlsx and .csv files must be less than 450 pages), and must not contain spaces in between every letter (l i k e t h i s). If the file only contains text, it must be less than 2MB.
Turnitin will currently accept the following file types:
- Microsoft Word® (.doc / .docx) - preferably without headers
- Excel (XLS, XLSX)
- PowerPoint (ppt, pptx, pps, ppsx)
- OpenOffice (.odt)
- WordPerfect® (.wpd)
- PostScript (.ps/.eps)
- Adobe® PDF (including scanned documents, but to generate an originality report the PDF MUST contain highlightable text). For more information scanning guidance can be found here
- Rich text format (.rtf)
- Plain text (.txt)
- Hangul Word Processor file (.hwp)
Turnitin do not support the following
Note that these file types may be accepted but will not generate an originality report or similarity score.
When setting up an assignment, lecturers should normally select the option NOT to accept "all file types" to avoid the possibility of students submitting the following file types and not getting an originality report.
- Microsoft Works (.wps) file types.
- Apple Pages file types.
- CAD files (e.g. prt)
- Microsoft Word 2007 macros-enabled (.docm) files (whatever macro is encoded in the file is stripped away when submitted to Turnitin)
- Password protected files
- .odt files created and downloaded from Google Docs online
- .doc files created using OpenOffice as these are not a 100% Microsoft Word equivalent
- zip or rar files
- Text with visual effects
- Spreadsheets created outside of Microsoft Excel (i.e. .ods)
If a file format issue is occurring, please re-open the file in a word processor, and save the file again using the "save as" function and choose a different format from the file type pull down menu (try PDF).
If you are experiencing problems uploading the paper, please send an email to email@example.com and attach your paper to it so that we can co-ordinate with Turnitin and find out what is going on at their end. Also, please let us know the word processor and version you are using to write the paper.
More info on Turnitin system requirements