This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
This refers to Moodle 2.7 from July 2015 onward
It is possible to hide a whole Section or topic from students
- Navigate to the Moodle module you want to work in
- Click on the Turn editing on button (top right)
- Section visibility is set using the Eye icon where an open eye (as shown below) shows that the section is visible to students. If the eye is closed it can be clicked on to change it to an open eye and therefore visible to students.
- Visibility of items is changed by clicking on Edit and then selecting Show from the option list.
- You may also set an activity to be hidden entirely if you have set access restrictions.
NOTE: You may have to refresh or reload your web page (use the option in your browser) to see the grey disappear.
For a single item
Visibility is set under the Edit menu (see Edit dropdown in screenshot above)
Drop down the Edit menu next to the item and select 'Hide' or 'Show' as required.
When can students see a greyed-out item?
If an item is set to release on a particular date then you can choose, under "Before activity can be accessed"
- "Show activity greyed-out, with restriction information" (default)
All other greyed-out items are invisible to students.
What about assignments?
If an assignment is hidden then students will NOT be able to see the marks either.