This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of every page.
Using forums with groups (including News Forum/Announcements)
MSc Health and Wellbeing
The course is a part-time distance course taken by elearning, online (2 years). Students are occupational health professionals. There are two separate course areas on Moodle (Year 1 & Year 2)
We found we were duplicating resources, posting course announcements twice, and with the students separate there were fewer opportunities for networking.
Forums were used for
- Communication - to balance keeping students informed vs. email overload
- To foster an online community: for sharing professional experience and for peer support & mentoring
What did you do?
We signposted the forums clearly, describing what they were for and how we were going to use them. We made sure to tell students what they were for right from the start.
We used "Forced subscription" where students cannot unsubscribe for important forums and "Auto subscription" where students are initially subscribed - so receive emails - but can choose to unsusbscribe.
We set forum tracking on so the number of unread posts were displayed).
We sent different announcements to different groups.
How it worked
It was really important to tell them clearly what the forums were for (and add a description), for example, they can’t reply to Announcements (News forum).
Students said they wanted important emails immediately so we advised them how to change their profile settings (which were initial set to a once-a-day digest) to Individual emails
Students appreciated forum tracking -- new posts are highlighted as soon as they go into the module (again this needs to be set in the module AND the students individually need to allow this in their profile)
How students liked it
Tips & recommendations for fostering online community
- Use Introductions and icebreakers
- Lecturer scaffolding is important
- Bringing in humour / encouraging discussion
- Students were encouraged to build their Moodle profiles
Moodle Bytes webinar recording: Moodle forums on the MSc Health and Wellbeing with Matthew Hope
How to achieve this
- Moodle Help – Forums
- How to create a forum for groups
- How to change whether I get emails from a forum (Subscribing)
- How can I see when new items are added to a forum in my module? (Forum tracking)
Contact Matthew Hope with any questions Matthew.Hope@Nottingham.ac.uk