This refers to Moodle 3.10 from September 2021 onward
Moodle Help & Support
How to: Write scientific equations using MathJax and LaTeX
There is an equation editor in the expanded formatting toolbar in every description, summary related text-box e.g. Labels, Quiz questions, Page etc. To use the editor you need to be able to write code using either MathJax (preferable) or LaTeX. there are lots of websites out there to help you, especially with complex equations. Here is a basic guide to getting started with the equation editor using MathJax.
Accessing the equation editor
- Go into your module in Moodle and click on the 'Turn editing on' button in the top right
- Click + Add an activity or resource in the section you want to add the equation
- Select the activity or resource type that you want to add an equation to
- In the text box you want to add the equation, expand the text editor toolbar by clicking on the 'Show/hide advanced buttons' icon
- Click on the 'Equation editor' icon
- The 'Equation editor' window will open. Type in your equation and use the characters in the window. When you are done, select 'Save equation'
7. Save your your resource / activity by clicking on the 'Save and return to module' button
8. When finished, click on the 'Turn editing off' button on your main Moodle page