Moodle Help & Support
How to use the instant message system in Moodle
There is an internal "instant" message system inside Moodle and there are a number of ways in which it can be used.
You can send a message by using
- the Messages page (by dropping down your personal menu by clicking on your name at the top right of Moodle and selecting Messages)
- by clicking on the profile of another user (wherever you can see profiles)
If you are an editing teacher you can also send a message to one or more participants in your module by using the People (Participants) block
To send a message to an individual
Drop down your personal menu from your name or icon on the top right of the Moodle page
- Use the Search people and messages button to find a person (use their full name, with % as a wildcard if necessary)
- To narrow the search down further, click the blue Advanced link to search for a person "only in my modules" or to search with keywords:
Once a person's name comes up you can:
- add them to your Contacts to find them more easily
- block them as a contact or
- view your message history with them
Click a name:
- Type the message in the box and click the Send message button
- This screen also shows your more recent messages from and to the person
To read and reply to a message
If you can see a message popping up:
- click the envelope icon (with the number of messages)
- Type your reply into the box and then click on the Send a message button.
- If you receive a popup notification of a message, click Go to message to read and reply to it.
If you know you have a message:
- Drop down your personal menu from your name or icon on the top right of the Moodle page
- Select Messages from the menu
- Under Message navigation drop down the menu and select recent notifications or recent conversations to look through those
- OR search for a keyword or person's name in the Search people or messages box
To send a message to selected course participants (for teachers only)
- Click on the Participants link in the People block on the course page.
- Select participants from the list or use the "Select all" button at the bottom of the list.
- Choose "Add/send message" from the "With selected users..." drop-down menu.
- Type the message then click the "Preview" button.
- Assuming you are satisfied with the message, click the "Send" button.
People may be added to your list of contacts (or blocked from contacting you) by clicking the Add contact(or Block contact) icon under their name in the Messages window.
By default the contact list is empty. In order to send a message or to create a shortcut to the person you are sending, search for them in the search box.
A record of messages sent to/from a person may be obtained by searching for them,
then clicking the "Message history" icon by their name.
When are messages sent via email?
To enable messages to be sent via email, a user should select "email" in the Messaging setting of their profile for instant messages. They can select whether to have emails sent when online or offline or both.
- In the Messages page
- Under Administration, click Messages
- Set Personal messages between users
for "When I'm logged in" and "when I'm offline"
- For each you have the choice of
- via "Email" and
- via "Popup notification"
- For each you have the choice of
How can I view all my messages?
Go to Your personal menu > Messages
Click on the drop-down box (default set to Contacts) and change it to Recent Conversations
This will show you all the messages you've recently sent and received.
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk