This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of every page.
Moodle Help & Support
This refers to Moodle 4.1 from December 2023 onwards
How to: use the Signup Sheet tool
Note for non-UoN users: This plugin was built and is maintained by the Moodle team at Nottingham. More info: https://moodle.org/plugins/view/mod_tutorialbooking
The Signup Sheet creates an online equivalent of a paper sign up sheet. It can be used to allow students to book special events, placements, essay titles, field trips, careers interviews or anything at all that uses a sign-up sheet.
The Signup Sheet is an activity that you can add to your Moodle module.
Creating a signup sheet
- Login to your module and click on the 'Edit mode' toggle switch (top right):
- At the end of the section in which you would like the Signup Sheet to appear, click on the '+ Add an activity or resource' button:
- Select 'Signup Sheet' from the activity and resource picker that appears:
Change the settings of your tutorial
- Enter a 'Signup sheet title' e.g. Field trip briefings.
- Type some relevant guidance in the 'Signup sheet notes' text field e.g. what the event is, or any preparation required
- If you wish to prevent students from signing up to slots before you are ready, there are two ways to do this. You may change the 'Locked' status to 'Yes':
- OR, when you return to the module, you may hide the activity by clicking the three dots alongside it, and selecting 'Hide' from the drop down options:
- Decide whether you wish students to see the names of people signed up to slots. Choose the appropriate setting in Privacy. (For example for remedial sessions students may wish to remain anonymous.):
- Now click on the button 'Save and return to module' at the bottom of the page.
- You will now see the signup sheet added to the bottom of your chosen module section
Creating sign up slots
Once you've created your signup sheet you then need to create the sign-up slots available for your students to book.
To create sign-up slots:
NOTE: The Signup Sheet can be used to sign up for anything, not just time slots, e.g., placement choice.
- Click on the name of your signup sheet. This will open the settings page. From here you can add, edit, export or delete existing sign-up lists.
- To create a new (or add to an existing) sign-up list connected to this tutorial, click the link 'Add new session':
- This will open a new page where you fill in the details of one time slot. You are now in the New Time Slot page. This includes:
- "Title" of your session
- "Details" of your session - this could include date, time. locations of session
- "Max number of students" who can attend the session. The default is set at 30
- Once you have filled in the details, click on 'Save'.
- You should now see the newly-created time slot listed on your 'Time Slot Management' page underneath your Signup Sheet, similar to below.
- You can create additional time slots, click on 'Add a new session' and repeat the process above
- The time slots you have created should all sit inside your Signup Sheet.
- 'Cross-arrows' will appear beside the slot title. These allow you to change the order of the slots on the page (e.g., if you want to have them in chronological order).
- If you elected to lock the Signup Sheet activity, you can unlock it from this screen too by clicking on 'Lock/Unlock Signup Sheet':
- Or, If you have hidden it, you can reveal it clicking on 'Show' in the three dots drop-down menu. Note, when the Signup sheet is hidden a notice is displayed under the Signup sheet title:
Once students have signed up to this time slot you can print off the register (as alphabetical list or by order of signing up) or email the group.