Moodle Help & Support
How to: Set up weighted grades in grade book
This is not set up in the individual assignments but within Grades, the Moodle grade book.
Accessing the grade book
- In your module, click on the Turn editing on button (top right)
- Find the Administrationblock (usually on the left-hand side) within your module
- Click on Gradebook Setup to enter settings the Moodle grade book for your module (this is not linked to Saturn)
Changing to 'Weighted mean of grades'
- Inside the grade book setup click on the Edit button in the Actions column for top (total) for the module
- Select Edit Settings
- Against Aggregation click on the drop-down menu box and select 'Weighted mean of grades'
- and Save changes and Continue
- A new column called Weights will appear.
This is where you will determine the importance i.e. the weighting of each assignment compared to others within the module
Setting the weightings of assignments
- Next to each assignment, in the Weight column, enter any number to change it's importance in the overall calculation of the module grade. For example: for an assignment you wish to contribute 30% to the total module calculation enter 0.3 in the weight field alongside that item.
- Click on the Save changes button at the bottom of the page.
Note: 0 means the grade for this assignment will not be considered in the overall calculation for the module. 1 means 100% of the grade for this assignment will be considered in the overall calculation for the module; 1.0 is the default, meaning that every assignment has equal importance and will therefore contribute equally to the overall module grade e.g. 10 assignments will contribute equally 10% towards the final grade.