Moodle Help & Support
How to send a message/email to Groups
You need to have created the Groups within your module before this will work. How to create groups and groupings
Step 1: enabling groups within your module
- Go to Administration block > Module administration > Edit settings
- Scroll down to the section 'Groups'. From the Group mode drop-down box choose Visible groups or Separate groups. With visible groups students can see the other groups, but not interact with them. Separate groups means that students will only see their own group.
- Set Force Group mode to "Yes"
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on the Save changes button.
Note: By setting Force group mode to "Yes", the setting you choose (e.g., Visible or Separate groups) will automatically be applied to any new Activities you create (not to activities created prior to the change) therefore make sure you change the settings for each activity if you require it to be different.
Step 2 - Adding students to a group
- Go to the Administration block > Module administration > Users > Groups
- Click the Create group button
- Type in a group name and optional description (the description is displayed above the list of group members on the Participants page)
- Click on the Save changes button
- Select the group (created as in Step 1) to which you want to add participants, then click on the Add/remove users button
- In the "Potential members" list, select the users you want to add to the group. Multiple users may be selected using the Crtl key.
- Click the Add button to add the users to the group
Step 3 - Contacting a particular group
This process sends a message to the students through Moodle's internal instant messaging system.
- Go to Navigation block > Current module > [module name] > Participants
- You can now see a list of everyone enrolled on the module. To choose a particular group to send a message/email to. Choose the group from the Separate groups/Visible groups drop-down box. The list of participants will update to show only the participants relevant to this group.
- Either select the individual groups members (via check boxes) or Select all (at the bottom) and then in the With selected users... drop-down box choose "Send a message".
This process sends a message to each student. They receive it as...
1. If they are ONLINE it pops up as a message and goes into their Messages folder.
2. If they are OFFLINE then it goes into their messages folder and is sent as an email.
How instant messages are received is governed by the individual's profile settings. See Help sheet on How to use Moodle messaging for more information
There is NO subject or module context on the message - is it sent from one person (teacher) to another (student) so you should unclude the name of the module in the message to give it a context.
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic:
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: email@example.com
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk