This refers to Moodle 3.8 from September 2022 onward.
The text below describes feedback using an audio files but can equally well be used to give feedback via any other type of file, including Word, PDF or a scanned version of an annotated script.
Moodle Help & Support
How to give audio or other feedback privately to students
You can give feedback with the Moodle Assignment tool. Students do not have to submit anything to receive feedback or files back.
- In your Moodle module, click on the 'Turn editing on' button (top-right pencil icon)
- Click + Add an Activity or Resource
From the window, select 'Assignment' and then click 'Add'.
4. Create the assignment as usual, with "Name", "Description" etc.
5. If you are giving feedback, but you do not require students to submit anything, make that clear in the description i.e. "You don’t have to submit anything but look here for feedback"
6. Remember to configure your "Feedback types" to allow "Feedback files", should you wish to. This option is not activated by default.
7. Then save your assignment.
8. Once you have created your assignment and the submissions are in, click into the assignment and View the assignment as a teacher and click 'View all submissions'
9. Click the blue 'Grade' button in the "Grade" column for the student of choice.
10. On the student's Grading page, you can use "Feedback comments" to provide a written statement.
11.You can also use "Feedback files" to upload a prepared document or media file.
12. Scroll up to "Marking workflow state" and select 'Marking completed', then scroll back down and click 'Save changes' or 'Save and show next' to move on to the next student.
N.B. Selecting "Marking completed" on the feedback page for each student does NOT release the feedback to students. To release your feedback in bulk, follow these steps:
- Click into the assignment and select 'View all submissions'.
2. Select all students with the "Select" checkbox
3. Scroll down to "With select..." dropdown and choose 'Set marking workflow state' then click on 'Go'
4. On the next page, scroll down to "Marking workflow state" and select 'Released' and then click 'Save changes'