This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
This refers to Moodle 3.4 from July 2018 onward
How to ensure students cannot self enrol on previous modules (e.g. on 14/15 modules)
If you want to allow self-enrolment on your module, it could be confusing to students if they self enrol by mistake on the previous year's module.
How not to do it
- Don't hide the previous module as this disadvantages last year's genuine students who should continue to have access to the modules they were taught
- Don't hide the self-enrolment instance altogether as this removes access for last year's self-enrolled students
- Don't delete the self enrolment instance as this unenrols any students who originally self enrolled
Prevent further self-enrolment
- Go into your module
- Click the Hamburger icon on the top right and click on Participants > Cogwheel icon above enrol users> Enrolment methods
- Look for the self-enrolment instance (If there isn't one, then you don't have any problems - no-one can self enrol anyway).
Prevent further self-enrolment, while allowing existing students to continue to see the module.
- Click the settings icon (see arrow in diagram above)
- Ensure Enable Existing enrolments is set to Yes
- Ensure Allow new enrolments is set to No
- Set the end date for self enrolment as appropriate, e.g., to 30 June 2015 for 14/15 modules.
This ensures that students already signed up stay on the module and can view it, and no-one new can sign up.