This refers to Moodle 2.7 from July 2015 onward
How to ensure students cannot self enrol on previous modules (e.g. on 14/15 modules)
If you want to allow self-enrolment on your module, it could be confusing to students if they self enrol by mistake on the previous year's module.
How not to do it
- Don't hide the previous module as this disavantages last year's genuine students who should continue to have access to the modules they were taught
- Don't hide the self-enrolment instance altogether as this removes access for last year's self-enrolled students
- Don't delete the self enrolment instance as this unenrols any students who originally self enrolled
Prevent further self-enrolment
- Go into your module
- Find the Administration block and click on Module administration > Users > Enrolment methods
- Look for the self-enrolment instance (If there isn't one, then you don't have any problems - no-one can self enrol anway).
Prevent further self-enrolment, while allowing existing students to continue to see the module.
- Click the settings icon (see arrow in diagram above)
- Ensure Enable Existing enrolments is set to Yes
- Ensure Allow new enrolments is set to No
- Set the end date for self enrolment as appropriate, e.g., to 30 June 2015 for 14/15 modules.
This ensures that students already signed up stay on the module and can view it, and no-one new can sign up.