This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
For Moodle 3.6 from July 2019 onwards
How to enable resubmission of a Moodle assignment
- When setting up the Moodle Assignment you can choose to allow students to resubmit
- You can set a cut-off date after which they can no longer resubmit.
Default settings for resubmissions
- In the editing page, Submission settings will appear, by default, as per the example below:
- By A student can resubmit right up until the deadline, just by returning to the assignment.
- With Maximum Attempts set to Unlimited, students can resubmit as many times as they wish until the deadline.
- Moodle will consider every submission as being final, though the option for resubmission remains until deadline. This is not the case with all submission settings.
How to allow students to finalise their submissions (after which they cannot resubmit)
- It is possible to add an extra step so that submissions are NOT final until the student selects Submit for marking.
- Once selected, students will no longer be able to resubmit.
- To enable this setting, go to Submission settings > Require student to click the submit button = Yes.
- This will make a difference to what the student sees when submitting. Instead of one submission button, they will be given a choice between Edit submission and Submit assignment:
- If the student does choose Submit Assignment, they will be asked to confirm that they are ready to submit for grading AND they will be reminded that the submission will be final.
- The Editing Teacher can re-open an assignment to allow resubmissions for selected students, if required.
- This is possible whether or not the Submit for marking button has been enabled.
The Editing Teacher can reset submissions for selected students provided that Attempts Re-opened has been set to Manually in the Submission settings.
How to re-open an assignment to allow resubmissions
- Navigate to the relevant module, click into the assignment and select View all submissions.
- Click on the relevant Select boxes for the submission that needs to be amended.
- Below the table is a drop-down menu entitled With selected... click on Allow another attempt, then click on the Go button.
The student can then resubmit. Note: If late submissions are allowed, then resubmissions can also take place after the due date.
To prevent all students resubmitting
The "Lock submissions" option can be used at any point to prevent one, several or all students from further resubmission.
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic: