This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
This refers to Moodle 3.8 from September 2020 onward
Moodle Help & Support
How to: Enable group submissions in a Moodle assignment
If you organise students into groups to work on collaborative projects with the idea of a single submission e.g. a joint presentation to be submitted, then Moodle assignments is ideal. Turnitin Assignment does not recognise groups.
Once you have created the Groups in your Moodle module (Hamburger Menu > Participants > Action menu > Groups) do the following:
- On your Moodle page, click on the 'Turn editing on' button (top right of page)
- Click on Add and Activity or Resource and select 'Assignment' then 'Add'
3. Name the Assignment and add a description as normal.
4. Scroll down to Group submission settings and click 'Show more...'
5. Change "Students submit in groups" to 'Yes'
6. Select the Grouping which you want to use for the assignment. N.B. for Group Submissions, student can only be a member of a single group at a time.
7. If you want all students in a group to officially confirm they are happy with the group piece of work that has been submitted you will need to force students to click the submit button.
Note: Only once every member of the group has clicked the Submit button will the assignment become visible to you
- Go to Submission settings and change "Require students click submit button" to 'Yes'
- Go to Group submissions settings and change "Require all group members to submit" to 'Yes'
Please note: Normally we recommend "Require all members to submit" is set as 'No' then only one student needs to submit on behalf of the group, and it can be any one of the members.
Do not change group allocations once submission has started as a student's submission can be overwritten because they have been moved group.
8. When you have finished on the settings, click on the 'Save and return to module' button
9. On the main Moodle page, click on the 'Turn editing off' button
How to: Mark Group submissions
It is possible to give students within a group their own individual mark, or you may prefer to give one grade to the entire group. The toggle for this parameter is found on the marking page under Group Submission Settings.
What a student sees
The example below is what a student will see when the group assignment requires all group members to officially confirm they are happy with the submission. One student will upload the document and then the others will have to go into the assignment dropbox where they will see the file that has been uploaded. They can choose to edit the submission e.g. upload a different version or confirm the submission by clicking 'Submit assignment'. Each student in the group has to do this before the assignment will be fully submitted. Each student can see who in their group is left to submit within the drop-box under "Submission status".
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic: