This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
How to: Enable group submissions in a Moodle assignment
If you organise students into groups to work on collaborative projects with the idea of a single submission e.g. a joint presentation to be submitted, then Moodle assignments is ideal.
Once you have created the Groups in your Moodle module (Administration block > Module administration > Users > Groups) do the following:
- Add an Assignment and set it up as normal (see guidance on Moodle assignment creation below)
- In the assignment settings go to the Group submission settings section
- Click on the Show more... hyperlink to open up more options
- Change Students submit in groups to 'Yes' which then enables Groupings to be set as well if necessary
- If you want all students in a group to officially confirm they are happy with the group piece of work that has been submitted you will need to force students to click the submit button. Note: Only once every member of the group has clicked the Submit button will the assignment become visible to you
- Go to Submission settings and change Require students click submit button to 'Yes'
- Go to Group submissions settings and change Require all group members to submit to 'Yes'
Marking Group submissions
As soon as you apply a grade and add feedback comments to a submission for one of the group members it will be replicated across all the members of that group. You cannot apply different grades to different students in the same group.
What a student sees
The example below is what a student will see when the group assignment requires all group members to officially confirm they are happy with the submission. One student will upload the document and then the others will have to go into the assignment dropbox where they will see the file that has been uploaded. They can choose to edit the submission e.g. upload a different version or confirm the submission by clicking Submit assignment. Each student in the group has to do this before the assignment will be fully submitted. Each student can see who in their group is left to submit within the drop-box under Submission status.
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic:
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: email@example.com
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk