This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
How to: Embed a Xerte online toolkit project within your module
You can use the External Tool activity to add a toolkit project to Moodle. The project can be set to run from the Moodle window or in a new pop up window.
Alternatively, you can use the Xerte Toolkit embed code to embed it in a Moodle page or label but this does not pass data such as users' names or grades between Xerte Toolkits and Moodle.
Preparing your Xerte Online Toolkit
When you have completed your Xerte Online Toolkit you can choose to make it available from Moodle without having to log in again:
- Go to https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/toolkits and login
- Click on the name of the Toolkit you want to make available
- Click Publish icon (the last in the row of orange icons, like a curved arrow). The Publish window opens
- Click Access (the Access screen opens)
- Choose either:
- Public (which means the object can be viewed from Moodle or anywhere on the Web - IF they know the URL) or (if you do NOT want anyone other than a Moodle class to be able to view it)**
- Click Other, then type in https://moodle.nottingham.ac.uk. This restricts the content to those coming from Moodle
- Click Change Access
- Click the Project tab, and in that window, click Publish
- Close the Publish window
Adding a Xerte Online Toolkit activity to your module
- In a module click on the Turn editing on button (top right)
- Go to the section you would like the Xerte activity to appear in and select the + Add an Activity or resource hyperlink
- From drop-down list, select the External tool activity and click on the Add button
External Tool settings explained
- Activity name: Name of the activity that will display in the module.
- External tool type: Select Xerte Online Toolkits. Do not use the Launch URL field below.
- Launch Container: This dictates how the activity will be displayed. Default will embed without blocks. Embed will give a limited display area but with navigation block. Embed without blocks will show a large display area with limited navigation from the activity (only the breadcrumb trail).
- Share launcher's name with the tool: Do you want to record the names of the students using the tool?
- Share launcher's email with the tool: Do you want to record the email addresses of students using the tool?
- Accept grades from the tool: Do you want grades from Xerte to be sent to Moodle Gradebook?
Click on the Save and display button once all settings have been chosen. You will then be allowed to choose the activity you would like to link to in Xerte.
Selecting the toolkit project
- You will first be asked to login to Xerte Toolkits. Use your university username and password.
- You will be shown a list of papers that are available in Xerte toolkits that you have access to.
- Select the project you want to include as a link in your Moodle module
- Click on the Select button
- You will then be shown the activity you have selected
Note: If you choose the incorrect activity and then clicked on the Select button you will have to start again as you cannot amend the activity it is linked to.
Note that the first time a student accesses the Xerte object, they will be asked to login with their usual University username and password.
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: email@example.com
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk