This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
Refers to Moodle 3.6 from July 2019 onward
How to: Download all submissions from a Moodle Assignment dropbox
- When students have submitted their work to your assignment dropbox, and the deadline has passed, you can download all the submissions together as a single .zip file
- You can use this feature to mark the submissions offline before uploading back into the module for feedback.
- If you wish to share submissions post grading (for example; if the submissions are group posters) you can post the zip back into the module for all students to access.
To download submissions:
- When the submission deadline has passed, navigate to the relevant module and click on the Moodle Assignment activity.
- Select View all submissions at the bottom of the Grading Summary.
The student information table will then be loaded for this assignment.
3. On the student information table, your first task should be to Lock Submissions by selecting All > With ... Lock Submissions > Go.
- [If there are some students who have not yet submitted or you are expecting late submissions then at some point you will need to reopen the box for those students to allow them to submit.]
A popup will appear to make sure you wish to lock the submissions. Click OK.
5. Scroll down to Options and make sure that the Download submissions in folders checkbox has been ticked.
6. Now, scroll back up to the Grading action drop-down menu (top of the page) and select Download all submissions.
The .zip file will either be sent directly to your downloads folder OR A pop-up window will appear giving you the option to Open file or Save file.
Note: The zip will automatically be saved in your Downloads folder on your computer. It will be named the same as your Module short name (see ADMINISTRATION block > Module administration > Edit settings)
This zip file contains a folder for each student. (If anonymous it will show their Moodle student ID—not the same as their SATURN/Campus ID)
The next steps take place outside Moodle, on your computer.
Accessing the downloaded zip
(We recommend this is carried out on a desktop PC or Mac or a Surface Pro rather than an iPad.)
Unzip the folder, extract the files and move them to a new folder that has been named to match the Module short name.
Location of the Module shortname
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic: