This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
This page refers to Moodle 3.6 from July 2019 onward
How to create web links
Web links are simple links to web pages or content elsewhere on Moodle (use the direct URL)
Step by step
- Navigate to your module and click on the Turn editing on
- The following link will appear at the bottom of every section. Click on it to add the file >
- Scroll down to the Resources section and select the radio button for 'URL' (right at the end).
- Click on the Add button
- Enter the name of the link (e.g., Higher Education Academy Website) and a description. Type or paste in the website address (URL) in the 'External URL' field.
- In Appearance choose a display option
- Automatic - Moodle chooses the best display option
- Embed - The URL is displayed within the page below the navigation bar together with the URL description and any blocks
- in frame – The URL is displayed within a frame below the navigation bar and description
- New window – opens new browser window with usual menus and address bars (RECOMMENDED)
- Open - Only the URL is displayed in the current browser window
- In pop-up - The URL is displayed in a new browser window without menus or an address bar
- Decide if you want to Display the URL Description and click the appropriate checkbox
- Click 'Save and return to module' or 'Save and Display'.