This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of every page.
This refers to Moodle 4.1 from December 2023 onwards
How to create a link to a section, resource or activity elsewhere in your module.
Moodle Help & Support
How to: Create internal navigation links in your module
As well as creating urls to external websites you can create internal links to resources or aspects of a page as well. Internal links are useful for navigation around content heavy sections of your Moodle module site.
Note: If you have collapsed topics you can only use internal links within a section, not to navigate from one section to another.
Creating the anchor
The 'anchor' is thing you want to create a navigation link to, like a bookmark.
1. Go to your Moodle module site and turn on the editing mode, using the toggle switch in the top navigation bar.
2. Within a Label or the description section of an activity, resource or a section, expand the formatting toolbar using the 'Show/hide advanced buttons' button
3. Click on the HTML button
4. Find the piece of text you want to anchor, usually the title
5. Before the title paste in the following HTML code: <span id="TITLE OF THE ANCHOR">
6. Directly after the title paste in the following HTML code: </span>
7. Click on the HTML button again to check that visually nothing has changed
8. Click Save changes
Creating the link
This will produce a hyperlink that you can click on and it will take you to the connected anchor.
- Go to your module in Moodle
- Within a Label or the description section of an activity, resource or a section, expand the formatting toolbar using the 'Show more buttons' button
- Click on the HTML button
- Find the piece of text you want to make a hyperlink to the anchor, this might be in a contents list
- Before the text paste in the following HTML code: <a href="#TITLE OF ANCHOR">
- Directly after the title paste in the following HTML code: </a>
- Click on the HTML button again to check that a hyperlink has been created but that visually nothing else has changed
- Click Save changes
Note: The hyperlink isn't active in the editing mode so you need to turn editing off using the toggle switch on the top navigation bar.
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic: