This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
How to: Create an Absence Form
This activity is helps with tracking student absence and reasons for absence without delay.
Adding an Absence Form to your module
- Navigate to the module you want to change and click on the Turn editing on button (top right)
- Scroll down to the appropriate section for the form and click on the + Add an activity or resource hyperlink
- Select the Absence form activity from the list and click on the Add button.
Absence Form settings explained
- Absence form name: Title of the absence form (showing on the module content page)
- Description: Instructions and information for completion of the absence form (showing in the absence form)
- Send email on submit: Tick this box and provide an email address if you'd like to be sent an email notification when a submission has been made.
This enables you to link your Absence Form to a timetable you have created through the University timetabling system. By linking to a timetable the field where students would ordinarily complete with the details of the seminar missed will be a drop-down box instead of detailing all the sessions timetabled for the module.
- Use timetable - will show all sessions associated with the module
- Limit sessions to - will show sessions you have noted in the University timetabling system as e.g. a lecture, seminar, clinical skills. This can be helpful is attendance on clinical skills for example is mandatory for course completion therefore a record of absence is necessary.
What a student will see
What information is included in the email?
When the student clicks on the Save Changes button, if 'send e-mail on submit' has been selected the following information will be sent to the email address set in the form:
1) Username (picked up automatically by Moodle when a student notes an absence)
2) Session (this is the class they noted they had missed)
3) Reason (text entered by the student)
4) Notes (additional notes added by the student)
There is also a URL link to the relevant Absence Form.
Tip: The email Subject shows the name of the Absence Form so you could include the module name or code as part of the Absence Form name to make it clear which form the email relates to.
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic:
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: email@example.com
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk