Moodle Help & Support
How to: create a non-numeric grading scale
Rather than using points to grade assignments you can grade using a scale e.g. 'Pass or Fail' or using letters instead of numbers.
Creating a scale
- In your module go to the Administration block > Grades
- Click on the drop-down at the top and choose Scales > view
- Click 'Add a new scale'
- Give it a general name e.g. 'Letters'
- Write the scale options from negative to positive separated by commas e.g. F, E, D, C, B, A or Fail, Pass
- Click save changes
Note: once created and used the scale can not be amended, only deleted or the name of the scale can be changed.
Applying the scale to a Moodle Assignment dropbox
- Go into the settings of the dropbox
- In the Grade section select
- Type = Scale
- Scale = choose the name of your scale e.g. 'Letters'
- Click Save and return to module
Grading using the scale
- Go into the dropbox
- Click the 'View/grade all submissions' link
- Click on the grey pencil to access the individual student's marking page
- In the Grade section click on the Grades dropdown and select the appropriate scale option
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk