This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of every page.
Moodle Help & Support
How to: create a non-numeric grading scale
This refers to Moodle 3.11 from August 2022 onward.
Rather than using points to grade assignments you can grade using a scale e.g. 'Pass or Fail' or using letters instead of numbers.
Creating a scale
- In your module go to the 'Hamburger menu' and select Grades
2. Click on the drop-down at the top and choose 'View' under Scales
3. Click 'Add a new scale' at the bottom of the page
4. Give it a general "Name" e.g. Letters
5. Write the scale options from negative to positive separated by commas e.g. F, E, D, C, B, A or Fail, Pass
6. Click 'Save changes'
Note: once created and used the scale can not be amended, only deleted or the name of the scale can be changed.
Applying the scale to a Moodle Assignment dropbox
- Go into the Assignment
- Click on the 'Cogwheel' in the top right and select 'Edit settings'
- In the Grade section select
- For "Type", select 'Scale'
- For "Scale", choose the name of your scale e.g. 'Letters'
- Click 'Save and return to module'
Grading using the scale
- Go into the assignment
- Click the 'View all submissions' link
- Click on the 'Pencil' to access the individual student's marking page
- In the Grade section click on the "Grades" dropdown and select the appropriate scale option