This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
How to: create a non-numeric grading scale
Rather than using points to grade assignments you can grade using a scale e.g. 'Pass or Fail' or using letters instead of numbers.
Creating a scale
- In your module go to the Administration block > Grades
- Click on the drop-down at the top and choose Scales > view
- Click 'Add a new scale'
- Give it a general name e.g. 'Letters'
- Write the scale options from negative to positive separated by commas e.g. F, E, D, C, B, A or Fail, Pass
- Click save changes
Note: once created and used the scale can not be amended, only deleted or the name of the scale can be changed.
Applying the scale to a Moodle Assignment dropbox
- Go into the settings of the dropbox
- In the Grade section select
- Type = Scale
- Scale = choose the name of your scale e.g. 'Letters'
- Click Save and return to module
Grading using the scale
- Go into the dropbox
- Click the 'View/grade all submissions' link
- Click on the grey pencil to access the individual student's marking page
- In the Grade section click on the Grades dropdown and select the appropriate scale option
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: email@example.com
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk