This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of every page.
This refers to Moodle 3.11 from August 2022 onwards
Moodle Help & Support
Most modules take their enrolment from Campus Solutions when students are registered on courses. Academic and other staff are usually enrolled manually at course or category level.
In many cases courses are linked together, for example, where two cohorts of students (registered on separate CS courses) study the same content, or where a community course space takes enrolments from across a School.
See the following for an explanation of this:
If you have a course where the students are all enrolled on a Campus Solutions module or modules then you can use that CS module or modules to "feed" your module so that you don't have to enrol everyone manually.
This is called a meta link. The PARENT will always be a Non-SMS space and the CHILD or feeder module (or modules) will always be a Campus Solutions module.
How to create a meta link
- In the parent module (e.g., Year 1 or Geography Community) drop down the Hamburger menu and click Participants.
- A list of those enrolled in your module appears. This is searchable in various ways.
- Then click the Cogwheel.
- Select Enrolment methods.
- At the bottom of the list click Add method and select Module meta link.
- You can now start to search for the module or modules.
- Type in all or part of the name or code for the module - Moodle immediately starts to search.
- Select the relevant module when found.
- You can repeat the search and addition for any further courses (modules) that need to feed this one.
- Finally click Add method.
Students will have the same role - student - in the parent module.
Staff will appear in the parent module but will have NO ROLE. This is because they will often need to be Observers or roles other than Editing Teacher. You will need to give staff a role using the Participants table.