This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
This refers to Moodle 3.4 from December 2018 onward
How to create a Vote activity
The Vote activity allows you to create a simple selection of options for which students will vote.
It can be used for student representative elections or for any other voting activity.
To create a Vote activity
- In your module click on the Turn editing on button (top right)
- At the end of the section in which you would like the Vote to appear, click on the + Add an activity or resource hyperlink and select Vote.
- In the window which comes up, type in the Vote name and Description (not compulsory)
- Add the close date.
- Choose the vote type:
- Poll - This is a simple poll: the user chooses a single option to each question and will then be shown the results immediately afterwards.
- Vote - This is a simple poll: the user chooses a single option to each question, but the results are not visible until the voting has ended.
- Alternative vote - In this system each user ranks at least one option in each question. If no option has more than 50% of the vote, then the option with the lowest number of votes will be discarded and the next options of the people who voted for it will be used instead. This will continue until one result has over 50% of the votes.
Choose the Save and return to module button or Save and display button.
The Vote will be visible in the module. Now you set up the different choices.
To set up the options
Enter the vote by clicking on the title of the Vote.
On the next screen, choose Add a new question.
Add the main question. You can add a weighting to control the order of the questions if your Vote activity contains more than 1 question. The lowest number appears at the top of the list if you are using weighting. If you do not want to control the order leave it at 1 for all questions). Click on the Save changes button.
Next, choose Add a new option. Type in your first Option (Use Weighting for each option if you want to control the order. The option with the lowest number appears at the top of the list if you are using weighting. If you do not want to control the order leave it at 1 for all options.)
Click on the Save changes button. Do the same for the next Options until you have entered them all.
Choose Make the vote active
Everyone who has access to the module can vote, typically choosing one option (see above for explanation Alternative vote).