Moodle Help & Support
This refers to Moodle 3.11 from August 2022 onwards
How to: change the role of someone enrolled on your module
You may wish to change the role of a member of staff or student already enrolled on your module to give them the ability to do more or restrict their access.
Change the role of a co-convenor from Teacher (marking only) to Editing Teacher (marking and participation).
Change an Observer to Teacher so that they can mark.
To change a role
- In your module space drop down the 'Hamburger menu' and click Participants
2. A list of those enrolled in your module appears. You can filter by active/inactive, type of user, group or initial(s).
3. Select Keyword from the dropdown list in the box to the right of 'Match' (None/Any/All) and type a surname into the search box to find the person.
If you do not find them, follow the instructions to Enrol a user.
4. Look under the Roles column against the person's name.
5. Click the pencil icon.
6. Click in the box or start typing a role, such as Editing Teacher.
7. Click on the new role to add it to the list in purple.
8. Click the 'x' against the role you wish to remove.
NOTE: it is best if participants have only one role. Observer is the only one often combined with others.
If there is not an x to enable you to remove them, it will be because they are enrolled at category level.
9. Click 'Save' (the floppy disk icon).
The role is changed.