This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
You can now choose how your modules are displayed on your dashboard.
There are three options to select from: Card, List and Summary view.
Card View and Summary View display the module overview image for each module. As an editing teacher you can choose an overview image for each of your modules. These are a great way to strengthen a module’s identity. You could also decide on a visual theme for all modules in a programme so that students can easily recognise related modules on their dashboard.
If you don’t choose your own image, a generic, monochromatic pattern will appear instead (as shown in the examples below).
A module overview image is the image that appears on the moodle dashboard in Card and Summary view.
Try to find an image with some space (or unimportant features) around the edges as it will be cropped in the summary view.
For best results use an image that is 740px x 300px (width x height).
Make sure that you have permission to use the image. More information about this may be found on our copyright page.
As well as google image search and Flickr (filter for creative commons licensed images when you search), the following sites can also be used to download copyright-free (and creative commons licensed) images:
Creative commons image search.
Xpert (with image attribution option)
University of Nottingham image bank
More information about Creative common licensing may be found at CreativeCommons.org.
To add a module overview image to your module:
- Log into Moodle and Navigate to your module by choosing it from the dashboard or by searching for it (via Site Home on the navigation menu).
- Click on the Actions menu (Cog symbol – Top right) then click Edit settings
- In the settings menu, scroll down to the Module summary files dialog box.
4. If there is an image already in the module summary files box you may need to delete it before uploading an image again. This can be done by clicking on the image and selecting the delete button.
5. You can upload your image by Dragging & dropping or by choosing your image file from the File picker. Click Upload a file, then Choose file.
Your image will now appear as a thumbnail in the Module summary files dialog box.
Scroll down and click Save and Display to complete the task.
Confirm that the module overview image has been added successfully by navigating back to the dashboard and switching between Card view and Summary view in the Module overview.