Moodle Help & Support
How to add a forum
To set up a forum or discussion board
1. Navigate to your module and click on the Turn editing on button (top right)
2. In the Section/Topic where you'd like the forum, click on the + Add an activity or resource hyperlink
3. In the pop up window select Forum and then click on the Add button
The window Adding a new Forum will open
3. Enter the Forum name
4. Give the forum a Description. This is where the instructions or guidelines will go, or, for Single Simple Discussion, this will be the first post.
5. Select the type of forum you want.
There are 5 types of discussion forums (in addition to the News (Announcements) forum)
- Standard forum for general use
- A single simple discussion: this is the equivalent of a single-topic forum. the Description ebcomes the first post, to which participants reply.
- Q and A forum: this forum allows you to post a question (or questions) and students must reply with their answers first before seeing other student responses.
- Each person posts one discussion: handy for class introductions, each user can only post one discussion topic (replies are not limited).
- Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format (i.e. the latest post is at the top)
6. Under the Attachments and word count heading you can specify max number and size of attachments allowed, and whether a word count is displayed.
7. Under the Subscription and tracking heading you can decide on the Subscription mode you want
There are 4 subscription mode options:
- Optional subscription - Participants can choose whether to be subscribed (but are not to start with). See How to change whether I get emails from a forum
- Forced subscription - Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe (similar to the News forum).
- Auto subscription - Everyone is subscribed initially but can choose to unsubscribe at any time. See How to change whether I get emails from a forum
- Subscription disabled - Subscriptions are not allowed.
Auto subscription is recommended. All participants will get the first post automatically and can then choose to turn subscription off if they wish. The first post can include details of how to do this.
8. This is all that is essential, although you can choose from a variety of other options, including Groups (See How to create a forum for groups), dates to restrict access to, or completion tracking.
9. Click on the Save and return to module button
Posting messages in the forum
For any type of forum - except Single simple discussion (where the Description is the first post) - you can now go into the forum and start posting messages.
- Click into the forum
- Click on the Add a new discussion topic button
- In the posting window enter a Subject and Message
- Add any attachments if appropriate (up to 2 MB in size)
- Click on the Post to forum button
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic:
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: email@example.com
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk