This is one of many help and support pages that are available about the University of Nottingham's Moodle online learning environment. If you have any questions or queries concerning Moodle then contact information is at the bottom of this one-page sheet. Please browse or use the SEARCH box below.
Moodle Help & Support
This refers to Moodle 3.6 from July 2019 onward
How to add a forum
Creating activities: How to create a forum
Step by step
- Navigate to your module and click
- In the relevant topic/section, click
- Scroll down through ACTIVITIES and select the radio button for 'Forum'
- Click Add
- Give the forum a Name and Description. (The Description is where the instructions or guidelines will go, or, for Single Simple Discussion, this will be the first post)
- Select the Forum type you want.
There are 5 types of discussion forums (in addition to the special Announcements forum, see above)
- A Single Simple Discussion: this is a forum with only one topic. Users can only reply to the original topic (and to replies) not create new topics. The Description will be the first post.
- Each Person Posts one Discussion: handy for class introductions, each user can only post one discussion topic (replies are not limited).
- Q and A forum: this forum allows you to post a question (or questions) and students must reply with their answers first before seeing other student responses.
- Standard Forum displayed in a blog-like format
- Standard Forum for General Use: anyone can post new topics/subjects and reply to this forum.
- Click on the > to open the Subscription and tracking options
- Choose which Subscription option you want
- Optional subscription: users aren’t subscribed (don’t get email alerts) but can choose to be
- Forced subscription: users automatically get update alerts and cannot unsubscribe
- Auto subscription means users start with a subscription but may choose to disable it – OFTEN A GOOD CHOICE
- Subscription disabled – it is never possible to get alerts
Click Save and return to module or Save and Display
Posting messages in the forum
For any type of forum - except Single simple discussion (where the Description is the first post) - you can now go into the forum and start posting messages.
- Click into the forum
- Click on the Add a new discussion topic button
- In the posting window enter a Subject and Message
- Add any attachments if appropriate (up to 2 MB in size)
- Click on the Post to forum button
The following other resources are also relevant to this topic: