Moodle Help & Support
How to create groups and groupings
Moodle allows creation of groups and groupings (which are "supergroups").
Groups allows you to split up your class into groups and assign activities and resources to those groups.
Groups can be Separate (people in that group can only see their relevant materials, activities e.g. discussions in forums etc.) or Visible (people in that group can see the materials and activities for all groups but cannot interact with or contribute to other groups e.g. forums, only to their own).
First Step - Enable groups in your module
- Navigate to the module you want to work on
- Find the Administration block and then click on Module administration > Edit Settings
- Under the Groups heading change Group mode to 'Separate groups' or 'Visible groups'
- Change Force group mode to 'Yes' if you want to ensure that groups are then enabled for each activity/resource you then add to the module (although this sets the default for ALL activities then created, this can be amended in each activity during creation).
Showing group membership
You can allow students to see who is in which group by adding the People block
If you select 'Visible groups', then users can sort Participants by group, if you select Separate groups, participants will see only a list of their own group members under Participants.
The difference between groups and groupings
With Groupings you can create "supergroups" out of your existing groups, allowing you to bunch different groups together into a larger one. For example, a collection of lab Groups taught on a different day to another collection of lab Groups could be clumped into Groupings labelled as that teaching day in order to differentiate them. Groupings is more to aid teaching staff on a module, particularly when it comes to marking; students do not see the grouping title, they only see their Group title.
How to create groups
Find the Administration block and click on Module administration > Users > Groups
- Click on the Create group button, and give it a Group name (mandatory) and Group description (e.g. who the marker(s) will be). The rest of the fields are optional.
- Click on the Save changes button and the new group will appear in the left-hand column.
- Select the new group in the left-hand column entitled 'Groups:'.
- Click on the Add/remove users button under the right-hand column entitled 'Members of:'. A new screen will appear where you can add the students enrolled on your course to your new group. These are found in the right-hand column labelled "Potential members".
- Search for a student
- Select the student and click on the Add button. You will also need to add Teachers if you wish them to take part in the activity and be restricted to that Group. Editing Teachers can access all Groups. NOTE: A student CAN be part of more than one Group.
- Once finished, click on the Back to groups button.
How to create groupings
- Find the Administration block and click on Module administration > Users > Groups. Then click on the "Groupings" tab.
- Click on the Create grouping button and give it a Grouping name.
- Click on the Save changes button.
- Click on the "Show groups in grouping" icon to the right of your new Grouping.
- Add the Group (or more than one Group) you created to the Grouping by selecting the Group(s) from the right-hand column (Potential members) and click on the Add button.
- Click on the Back to groupings button.
- You should now see the names of the Groups you have added into that Grouping.
Video - How to create, populate, edit, and delete a group
Queries, comments or questions?
Please contact your local elearning support team.
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any comments on how you think this help can be improved then please email Learning-Technologies@nottingham.ac.uk